Help...I have been without a set up and ALOT has changed!

Want to get back into setting up a reef tank but it looks like a lot has changed. So I will think of myself as a newbie. Any info on what I should get or what I should stay away from would be great. What's the best skimmer...the best power heads...the best lighting...the best chiller...please help...thank u all so much...

For most bang for buck. Seems to be reef octopus skimmers. LED lighting seems to be the new thing. Radion, SOL, and Kessil appear the be the major players in that category. They provide lots of options and control. However, there is nothing wrong with T5 and MH lighting. Vortech powerheads seem to be above the rest, powerful and again give you plenty of options on control. Chillers i can't help you with. I use two clip fans from walmart instead. You also may want to look at system controllers. Apex and Reefkeeper tend to get mentioned most. Many are also using products like bio-pellets, GFO, and activated carbon to help control nitrates, phosphates, and have clear water. Enjoy and welcome back to the hobby.

I recently stepped back into the hobby as well. I can tell you this. Things certainly didn't get cheaper!:lmao:

alot this all comes down to money size of tank
reef octopus seem be best skimmer
led people go two ways diy it or spend money to buy
power heads vortec tunze are big players alot people use korilla for there cheaper price
algae turf scrubber seem be on rise but very debated
the go to are like okdohk said gfo,bio-pellets,carbon
calcium reactors on reef tanks
big sumps with refugium
controllers that can be used from smart phones can watch temp light and much more
few tips when buy skimmer 2x size of tank

WOW! More has changed then I was thinking. Thank you all for your input..time to take the info and do some research, make a list and go shopping. I will take it slow and steady.

I would stay clear of Biopellets, heard too many bad stories. For me, skimmer, carbon reactor and gfo reactor. And a controller to make my life simple. I have a mix of vortech and tunze. Dosing can be done by bubble Magnus or off of the controller. No additives needed except Ca and alk, with mg rarely.
Welcome back!

I haven't had as much time as I would like to spend on the tank so it's going up for sale. I've had the tank for a little over 2 years

It is a 24g nano reef with 3 chambers in the rear, including return pump, heater, filter pads, nano protein skimmer, and koralia nano pump inside

Includes about 20 lbs of live rock, large piece of green star polyps ($10), kenya tree ($5), brown mushrooms, orange ricordea ($15), some other green soft mushroom polyp forget the type, 1 clown fish ($10), a lot of nassarius snails and other snails from a clean-up-crew package.

Also have a 250w metal halide reef brite light with 2 strips of LEDs (Will let this go by itself for $150)

Will also include liquid food for hard corals and food for soft corals, iodine supplement, reef trace supplement, reef code A/B (a lot left, the big containers), as well as high quality ocean salt mix have a lot left, its one of those large tall bucket sizes.

I found this.....think it's a good way to start....what do you all think?

I am not selling this... I found this...think I will buy it....just wanted to know what you all think....sounds good but it's only 24 gal...

I recently stepped back into the hobby as well. I can tell you this. Things certainly didn't get cheaper!:lmao:

no joke... I keep telling my wife all this cool stuff, and she is like, is everything still expensive...? :dance:

It is a 24g nano reef with 3 chambers in the rear, including return pump, heater, filter pads, nano protein skimmer, and koralia nano pump inside

I would stay away from the ones with the integrated filter area in back. I found it a total Pain. cant clean it, cramped, only their name equipment will fit. put your desk on cinder blocks so it is 4' off the ground, and try to reach something behind it. I think the one I had was a truvue or something. sucked. the other stuff you mentioned might be good though... if the price is right, buy it all, and scrap the tank.

Sounds good..... I kinda want to go bigger....let's see what I can find....looked up the Octopus Skimmer..looks like my old Bakpak skimmer. Just cost A lot more.

Back