Help I think I messed up with Kalkwasser

Jyetman

I read you can kill blue cloves by covering with a fine paste of kalkwasser. When I applied by toothbrush a large cloud blew over now tank is all cloudy. What do I do to fix this is everything going to die?

Unlikely just so long as powder doesn't directly land on and burn corals neighboring corals. If your really worried track your pH for signs overdosing.

Take kalkwasser, add just enough water to mix it, heat it up in the microwave for 20 seconds or so. Turn all pumps off and should pretty much stay put and not blow all over when applying with your syringe type tool. You want it as thick as possible yet still able to suck up in the syringe. Leave powerheads off overnight and only run the return so the kalkwasser paste can just sit on the cloves. If done right it should actually form a white crust on the surface of the cloves.

Last edited:
Unlikely just so long as powder doesn't directly land on and burn corals neighboring corals. If your really worried track your pH for signs overdosing.

Take kalkwasser, add just enough water to mix it, heat it up in the microwave for 20 seconds or so. Turn all pumps off and should pretty much stay put and not blow all over when applying with your syringe type tool. You want it as thick as possible yet still able to suck up in the syringe. Leave powerheads off overnight and only run the return so the kalkwasser paste can just sit on the cloves. If done right it should actually form a white crust on the surface of the cloves.

I have only one main circulation pump this creates a lot of turbulence so can't leave it off over night? Can I just leave the paste covering the cloves for like 30 minutes?

No I would not leave return pump off over night to big of risk at low O2 levels.

If you have a way to reposition outlets/nozzles or cut back the flow ( If you know for sure you have sufficient circulation to maintain o2 levels ) that's about the best you can do.

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but you might have caused a precipitation event if you used enough Kalk. I'd test the alkalinity once the water is clear, or take a small sample, and let it settle. Once you have an alkalinity number, we can work from there. Probably, there's nothing hugely wrong and I'm being excessively cautious, though. Up to you.

There are other ways to kill polyps. You might be able to inject them with vinegar, for example. I'd leave that until we're sure the tank is okay.

Back