Help - ICH is in my tank

cebual

Hello All,

I've had my tank for about 5 months now. My fishes were doing well until i recently added a blue tang a week ago. My blue tang started to have ich after i had it for 2-3 days....now all a sudden, it has affected my yellow tang and no sign in other fishes yet. I should not have gotten that blue tang to begin with, then my tank would have been fine. It is a 30gal.

With that in mind, i cannot possibly catch fishes with ich, its impossible, i would end up breaking my current set-up, therefore, i cannot place fishes w/ ich on hospital tank. so, is there any recommendation i can do to fix my ich problem?

Please help, thanks.

If you have coral or inverts in the tank then all you can do is move the fish, if you treat with copper or hypo it will kill all corals and inverts. The best thing (IMO) to do is to get the fish out treat them separately and leave the tank fishless for at least 4 weeks (i think) so the Ich parasite will die and brake the cycle. I know it's not what you wanted to hear but taking them out might be your only option. And as a side note i think a 30gal is to small for a tang!

Not sure what you mean by its a 30 gal so cannot possibly move the fish ? You have to remove the fish man :) they need to go into a hospitol tank with hypo or copper treatment for 4-6 weeks you main tank need to be without fish for that long to let the parasite go though its life cycles a couple times and die off. I had ick ALOT the first year i had my tank up and i tore down my 150g 3-4 times to get the fish out, that is why i as confused by your comment a 30g is tiny would take like what 5-10 mins to get rock and coral in a bucket

Not sure what you mean by its a 30 gal so cannot possibly move the fish ? You have to remove the fish man :) they need to go into a hospital tank with hypo or copper treatment for 4-6 weeks your main tank needs to be without fish for that long to let the parasite go though its life cycle a couple times and die off. I had ick ALOT the first year I had my tank up and I tore down my 150g 3-4 times to get the fish out, that is why I as confused by your comment. a 30g is tiny, would take like what 5-10 mins to get rock and coral in a bucket. this is the only true way to know you are safe. also you really should hospitalize all new fish for 4-6 weeks using the hypo or copper treatment before putting them in your established tank.

A Blue tang, a yellow tang, and other fishes. Your bio-load sounds a bit much for a 30. I would recommend getting a QT/hospital tank setup and probably try to catch and remove those fishes that are showing visible signs of sickness. But then the added stress of chasing an already sick fish will probably only make it worse. Although I wouldn't rely on it, some have reported success with garlic supplements and just riding it out. You may also want to reconsider the tangs in a 30 unless you're planning an upgrade soon.

Quarantine is the only method that will ensure the ich is dead. Put them in QT for 4 weeks minimum and let the main tank cyle through the ich parasite.

That being said, some people have had success with garlic...I am one of them. I added Kent Marine Garlic Xtreme to my fish's food for 3 days and the ich has never come back. Incidentally I introduced the ich to my tank by not QT'ing a new fish. I'll never make that mistake again...:D

Re: Help - ICH is in my tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8122687#post8122687 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cebual
Hello All,

I've had my tank for about 5 months now. My fishes were doing well until i recently added a blue tang a week ago. My blue tang started to have ich after i had it for 2-3 days....now all a sudden, it has affected my yellow tang and no sign in other fishes yet. I should not have gotten that blue tang to begin with, then my tank would have been fine. It is a 30gal.

With that in mind, i cannot possibly catch fishes with ich, its impossible, i would end up breaking my current set-up, therefore, i cannot place fishes w/ ich on hospital tank. so, is there any recommendation i can do to fix my ich problem?

Please help, thanks.

Let me get this right - you have both a yellow and a blue tang in a 30 g tank? This would be a very high stress environment for them and I am sure that it would have contributed to the fact that they have ich.

A hospital tank is the only option but really you should not put those fish back in a 30g or you are going to have serious problems in the near future anyway unless you are in the process of setting up a larger tank.

The advice in this thread is good - but really those fish should be returned to the store.

My blue tang gets Ich all the time. He just lives with it. Make sure he's still acting normal though. Mine still eats and acts the same, so I let him be. He's also the only fish in the tank that gets ICH. I run a UV Sterilizer and dose with Marine Max.

Back