Help Id and resolve powdery jelly like brown algae

houstonreefer20

Hello all,
I've had my tank up and running for 2 years, and it's been a never ending battle with this powdery/jelly like brown algae. I'm not sure of the algae type, so would appreciate guidance on what it is and how to get rid of it.

You can see it in the attached picture. If I get lazy with my tank for 1 month, as in the picture, it quickly takes over. Ontop of that, I actually have a seperate refugium I pump water to so I can grow chaeto, and unfortunately this stuff will eventually cover the chaeto too rendering it useless!

I run GFO and my parameters test good - 0 phosphate, almost 0 nitrates. I've also intentionally let this stuff grow a bit to see if eventually it eats up any sort of nutrients my tests are overlooking, but to no-avail. My water is produced with a 5 stage RODI, so I'm pretty sure my water is clean. My corals do also grow and seem fine except when this stuff takes over and I need to blow it off.

I also dont think this is diatoms -I've had them in the past, this stuff is very jelly like and invasive. Trying to figure out a best course of action to resolve this...

Picture here - https://imgur.com/Y0PYxHc

I have never seen an algae like that but perhaps it is similar to dinoflagellates. If so then try adding different types of pods and slightly up your nitrates. If you can get some other macro algaes like red grape or dragons breath, (neither of those are overly invasive) then maybe they will out compete it.

Wow that's weird. I'm not even sure it is algae. Could it be a bacterial bloom? Are you carbon dosing? That can lead to bacterial blooms and/or cyano bacteria.

I agree with vlangel's comments too.

Great, I get stuck with the invasive algae that no one has heard of...doh!

That said, can you please let me know more about what pods you're referring to? How will Pods help reduce algae? Just the hope they'll eat enough of it to keep it in check?

Any other solutions to try as well? Thanks in advance!

Great, I get stuck with the invasive algae that no one has heard of...doh!

That said, can you please let me know more about what pods you're referring to? How will Pods help reduce algae? Just the hope they'll eat enough of it to keep it in check?

Any other solutions to try as well? Thanks in advance!

Any and all pods are good, especially copepods. Its not so much that they actually eat the algae (although some do) as they feed on things that may be fueling the algae, if what you have is even a type of algae. Pods help bring balance to an aquarium system. Also having micro brittle stars and even bristle worms will help as well.

Maybe try using Seachem Stability after you clean up the tank. It has both nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria which can only benefit the tank as well and help establish balance.

Back