Help ID Green Leafy Algae

Oldtimer

Looks just like this...

encrusting-fan-leaf-alga-2.jpg

I've been battling this stuff for the last couple years. It takes grueling 1-2 hour clippings with tweezers/siphon into a filter sock once a week to keep it at bay. My yellow tangs or sailfin won't touch it. My clean-up crew doesn't care for it either. My P04 and N03 are nearly undetectable. My make-up and top off water is filtered through a 6 stage BRS RO/DI unit with zero TDS and I use Reef Crystals salt.

My display is 240g and total system is around 450g. My bio load is low for the size of the system and I rinse all food and feed only once a day (frozen spirulina brine and chunk of frozen rods food). I dose Zeostart3 and use Red Sea Reef Energy A and B. I dose a very small amount of Oysterfeast daily for the SPS. The system is basically running at ULN levels despite not running full Zeo or any form of carbon dosing or Biopellets. But my SPS is pale and I think the green leafy algae is out-competing it for nutrients. I could never get chaeto to grow in the fuge so removed it years ago.

My halides and T5's are new so not the bulbs. I am very anal about keeping the system clean and siphon off any detritus once a week. I have a ton of flow in the system (2 Tunze waveboxes, Tunze Stream, 2 Vortech MP40's, Jaebo RW-20 and Jaebo RW-8 plus a Dart Gold return pump). I have a Bubble King 300 Ext Deluxe skimmer. I occasionally run GFO and GAC and a Polyfilter once in a while. I have no idea where the nutrients are coming from as I rinse the food and feed lightly, but my suspicion is the salt is feeding it. Also note that this stuff appeared well before I added the Red Sea nutrients or Oysterfeast. The SPS really perks up when I do a weekly 10% water change so it seems to back-up my theory that the algae is out-competing the SPS for food.

The image linked above was described as Lobophora variegata on the page I found it, but I'm unsure as I've read up on Lobophora variegata and it seems to be described as brown algae. I've read that a Sally Lightfoot crab or Naso tang can take care of this issue. Also read about success with Rabbitfish. Appreciate some insight...this stuff grows and spreads like mad and I'm tired of spending so much time clipping it back. TIA

If you are feeding your corals, and they are eating, I doubt your algae is outcompeting. It sounds like you are VERY careful to keep nutrient levels low. But the algae persists, so then you need to find a consumer. You mentioned a few. Try them. If they don't eat it, return them for store credit and try something else. My atlantic Blue Tang eats a variety of macro algae. I've heard Scopas Tangs are good too. There are a lot of herbivores out there! When all else fails, Urchins. Once you do find a good gardener, you may want to put some chaeto back in your sump, with a descent light.

Back