Help ID this hitchhiker shrimp?

maroun.c

Hi this hitchhicked with a shipment of snails. guess the shell was empty with this crab/shrimp in it. I noticed something was moving behind a hermit that was in this shell weeks before the hermit died and then saw this going out of the shell. I also had 3-4 hermit crabs die could it be responsible for the hermits deaths? Is it bad or is it ok to keep it? it is now with all my hermits in the front partition of my refugium. Thanks for any info
ShrimpID.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12267448#post12267448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kar93
Im gonna say pistol shrimp. You should get a goby and they will pair up.

I agree that the oversized claw makes it look like a pistol, but a pretty fair number of pistols do not pair with gobies, so that might be a shot in the dark.

And yes, this shrimp, if it's a pistol, could be responsible for killing your hermits... or the hermits could be doing each other in. With hermits, it's hard to say what gets them unles you see it happen.

FWIW,
Kevin

I don't think it's a pistol. This guy is a mud shrimp. I can't say whether or not a mud shrimp would be responsible for the deaths.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12268033#post12268033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by justinl
I don't think it's a pistol. This guy is a mud shrimp. I can't say whether or not a mud shrimp would be responsible for the deaths.

Mud shrimp???
keokimudshrimp.JPG

I'm gonna say pistol shrimp. Have you heard any popping noises coming from the tank? Do you know where the rock came from?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12268440#post12268440 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Grey Reefer
I'm gonna say pistol shrimp. Have you heard any popping noises coming from the tank? Do you know where the rock came from?
It didnt come on a rock he says it came with a shipmen of snails in an emty shell. At that size i dont think the sound will be loud enough to hear. But im 100% certain its a pistol.

Thanks for all the replies. I bought these snails from a trip to Dubai and guess they shipped from Singapoor or somewhere from far east. That video is kinda scary.
Do yuo think I can put it in my display tank or will it attack all other shrimps or snails?
Can it be kept in a specific aquarium with fish or will it also kill the fish in the tank?
What types of gobies would usualy pair with it?
Thanks for any further info

i'm no expert, but looking at the big claw, it doesn't look like your typical pistol claw... I could be wrong. I'd be leary about putting it in your DT though. A small dedicated system would be best, or your fuge. I wouldn't try pairing it with a goby w/o first getting a 100% ID. There are many different types of shrimps that DONT pair with gobies, the one in the video for instance. I'm pretty sure the one in the video is a Carribean pistol, but it's a non sympbiotic one for sure. The symbiotic types use their pistol snaps as more of a stay away than a hunting tool, unless something gets too close to their hole... defense mechanism.

If in doubt, take it out. usually if i have trouble getting a positive ID then i will put it in the sump

Back