Help me choose a fish to add?

mander

Premium Member
I'm not particularly new to the hobby, but I think this sort of stocking question is pretty basic so thought it may be more appropriate here!

I have a 125g display, 175g water volume with a nice big sump and a good refugium. The refugium contains a peppermint (he took a ride down the overflow), some rubble, and a bunch of macro. There is also some isolated hair algae down there.

In the display, I have a mated pair of false percs, 3 cardinals (2 paired up and one exiled), a desjardini sailfin tang, coral beauty, and lawnmower blenny. I was thinking it would be nice to add one more fish to this tank. Everyone is peaceful, even the exiled cardinal has more or less the run of the tank (I haven't been able to catch him to try to rehome him).

I added a mandarin some time ago and he didn't survive. He was in the tank a week or so when I noticed a large abscess on his side. I read it may heal itself, but he died a few days later. I had thought perhaps the little spike on his side had been pulled off when the LFS bagged him for me, as I had read that was pretty common. He was eating fine up (lots of pods) until the hours before his death. Now I wonder if the Lawnmower Blenny didn't attack him. I didn't see any real aggression from the Blenny, but he DID seem 'interested' in the mandarin. But if he attacked, or was at all aggressive towards the mandarin, he did it on the sly. I was intending on getting another mandarin, but now I am not sure since I don't know what caused the death of the first one.

Other thoughts are a wrasse, but I had a beautiful one that jumped during the 2 minutes the tank top was opened during feeding time and couldn't be rescued. There went a gorgeous fish and $80. So I'm a little hesitant in case I get another jumper.

I have thought about a few anthias, a royal gramma, and I love gobies, but worry about my blenny's response to them. I thought about trying to relocate the blenny to the refugium, but without a lot of rock to perch on and some heavy macro in there, it may not be terribly pleasant for him.

Other tank inhabitants (besides a lot of LR, crabs & snails), are lots of various zoos, an toadstool leather, some mushrooms, torch coral, a monti cap, some other random SPS - not a lot. The tank was relocated cross country about a year and a half ago and I haven't invested as much time and money into it as I did my previous setup.

So, what fish would you add? I want to keep a lightish stocking so I'm only thinking of adding one or two.

I want to add some new coral too but am also stuck on what to get. ;-)

I love my potter's angel. He has never touched any of my corals or clams in 3 years. I also like my sunburst anthias but they were shy for a long time

get yourself a nice chevron tang

get yourself a nice chevron tang

beutiful fish and markings you wont be dissapointed.

A Hawkfish or Cowfish for personality...

3 Green Chromis for activity...

How about Yellow Tang as a classic...

Wouldn't a Foxface be not so wise for my current corals? Lots of softies, polyps, zoos...

I was going to suggest a foxface as well. I love mine, and he is a model citizen. Gets along well with everyone, and has never touched my corals (softie/LPS tank). He eats TONS of nori, and I think keeping these fish well fed helps keep them from looking for something else to snack on.

I also think a goby would be a nice addition to your system, and should be fine with the blenny.

I can't have a Potter's b/c my Coral Beauty is an angel. I thought about a hawkfish but was concerned that they may go after my cleaner shrimp. A flame hawkfish would be awesome though! Or maybe a Falco Hawkfish?

Hubby vetoed chromis as boring. ;-)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look more into the Foxface too. These are some good options!

I just added a powder blue to my tank, probably the best looking fish out of the bunch, also wise to add as the last fish, b/c they sort of take over the tank. Very peaceful, keeps everyone in line, and a sight to see.

Wouldn't a Foxface be not so wise for my current corals? Lots of softies, polyps, zoos...

Should not be a problem ,I have one that is probably around 8-9 inches long in a 200 gal. and he does not bother any corals but he is a venomous fish .I did have a blenny and he did NOT get along with any of the gobies .I say a purple firefish .

I can't have a Potter's b/c my Coral Beauty is an angel. I thought about a hawkfish but was concerned that they may go after my cleaner shrimp. A flame hawkfish would be awesome though! Or maybe a Falco Hawkfish?

Hubby vetoed chromis as boring. ;-)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look more into the Foxface too. These are some good options!

Chromis only look good in a school ( 8-10 )

A foxface is a great addition always keeping algae in check. I have two of them, one each in two tanks, and have never had a problem with them. I would also recommend a melanurus wrasse. These guys are great at keeping pests under control.

You should remove the shrimp from your refugium, as he may be eating some of the micro fauna you are trying to grow there. That could possibly be why your mandarin died, because the shrimp cleaned up the pods before he could get to them.

I personally like jawfish, but you would need a cover for them, as they are prone to jumping. I have both Blue Spotted Jawfish and Pearly Jawfish (pair currently breeding). I also like gobies a lot, and have a Yasha goby and a pair of Hi-fin gobies. Darfish are pretty colorful, I like the Purple Firefish and the Helfrichi Firefish (a recent splurge).

The chromis are a great idea, or i would try a blue tang. I have one that has been one of my favorite fish for about a year or so now (ever since i got him)

You should remove the shrimp from your refugium, as he may be eating some of the micro fauna you are trying to grow there. That could possibly be why your mandarin died, because the shrimp cleaned up the pods before he could get to them.

I personally like jawfish, but you would need a cover for them, as they are prone to jumping. I have both Blue Spotted Jawfish and Pearly Jawfish (pair currently breeding). I also like gobies a lot, and have a Yasha goby and a pair of Hi-fin gobies. Darfish are pretty colorful, I like the Purple Firefish and the Helfrichi Firefish (a recent splurge).

The mandarin did not starve; he was still quite fat and died of the abscess on his side. The pod situation is quite good - I can visibly see the teeny pods all over the tank and refugium glass, plus the big buggers are all in the macro when I prune it. There is plenty to feed the peppermint and anyone else who cares to take a munch. :)

I like jawfish as well, and do have a good cover on my tank. I just had an opportunistic and excited wrasse I suppose. I know sometimes jawfish do tend to bury themselves and are never seen again; I'd like a more visible fish.

These are some great ideas! Has anyone had experience with a school of chromis that slowly got smaller as one by one they were chased off and died? I have read that eventually all schools end up with one dominant male in an aquarium but I don't know if that's usually true.

The mandarin did not starve; he was still quite fat and died of the abscess on his side. The pod situation is quite good - I can visibly see the teeny pods all over the tank and refugium glass, plus the big buggers are all in the macro when I prune it. There is plenty to feed the peppermint and anyone else who cares to take a munch. :)

I like jawfish as well, and do have a good cover on my tank. I just had an opportunistic and excited wrasse I suppose. I know sometimes jawfish do tend to bury themselves and are never seen again; I'd like a more visible fish.

These are some great ideas! Has anyone had experience with a school of chromis that slowly got smaller as one by one they were chased off and died? I have read that eventually all schools end up with one dominant male in an aquarium but I don't know if that's usually true.

You've done your homework on the Chromis - your observation has been my experience in two different tanks.. I have purchased probably two dozen Chromis over the years - they just keep killing each other off until one survives, and that bully starts looking at other fish to annoy, such as anthias and firefish. He hasn't killed any of them, because they can outrun and outmaneuver him.

I say +1 on a Magnificent Foxface Rabbitfish and a Melanaurus or Yellow Coris Wrasse.

JMO.

LL

Back