Help me choose a new 500lph skimmer pump - AEUSA 135RC

driftin

It's finally time I get around to replacing the pump on my AquaEuroUSA 135 recirc. It uses the same pump as the AEUSA400 - same quality problems too.

The skimmer has a 6" body that is ~16" high, where it reduces to a 2.5" neck that is ~6" tall.

This is pretty close to the dimensions of a Euroreef RC80 or RC135, which claim 510lph and 780 lph respectively with a Sedra3500.

With the 2.5" neck I'm thinking I should be on the lower side of that airflow range.

I'm looking for a quality-made, reliable energy efficient pump that would keep the same footprint. Inexpensive would be good, but not the primary requirement. Options I've come across are:

Aquabee 2000/1 ($140 with piping and venturi, 500 lph, 38W)
Sedra3500 (~$90 with venturi, 400-500 lph, 28W)
Aquaclear 70 with mods ($45+mods and venturi, 400 lph, 12W)

Am I leaving any pumps out? I don't think a Eheim will fit in the footprint.

I've read mixed reviews on both the Aquabee and Sedra pumps and really don't know if one is better than the other. I don't have a clear understanding of the mods required on the Aquaclear, have only seen them alluded to.

That thing would blow the top off my collection cup, methinks. At least double what my skimmer can handle. The only airflow info I can find on it are modded results; any idea what it pulls unmodded?

Back