Help Me Choose a Skimmer

stevetcg

My choices in hardware have been questionable in the past so I want to solicit the advice of people less stupid than I...

Please help me choose a skimmer for the system I am building out.

72 Bowfront DT, mixed reef with some messy tangs
55g sump with DSB/LR fuge and 40 sq in 2 sided turf scrubber for nitrate removal. No constraints on footprint or headroom as the 55 hasnt had baffles added yet.
Future room for a smaller (40-50g) type specific DT.

So ideally we would accommodate a 200g system without really tight water parameter constraints (I dont keep anything terribly demanding). I would love it if it had a drain line or could have one added to it with a little DIY work.

I would like to spend ~$250USD. Or less.

Ready go. :). TIA

I would get a skimmer with the pump inside the body of the skimmer, the Aqua Maxx is a real good skimmer that wildman has or get a Simplicity 320 model. Your price is out of line if you want a new skimmer, so buying used is probably best.

One thing to keep in mind, is you should only base your skimmer on you DT tank size, not your sump or anything else. So 72 gallon tank is what you need to buy it on, and not sure how many “messy tangs” can fit in a 72 gallon tank either....;)

Corey

After considering several skimmer I pulled the trigger on a red sea rsk300. It comes with like a foot and a half of drain line with valve. It also has the cup cleaner squeegee thats pretty cool. It's $299 msrp not too much from your budget, and what I was sold on was it didn't require a deep sump depth 7-8 inches if I recall. Its only been running for a few days and I've also been doing alot of adjustments to the tank so I can't comment on performance yet sorry.

Back