Help me choose power head

JiveWalker

So, being of the old school crowd, I must say I'm blown away by the cost of powerheads. Back in the day, $20 bucks got you all that you needed. That being said, I can't figure out how a two $20 maxi jets wouldn't be good enough for my 90g. I looked at the wp's, and for $100 they have mixed results/longevity. I looked at the mp's, simply can't afford that much, I'm poor I guess.

so bottom line, for $40 should I get two maxi jets and buy the magnet mounting kits?

Interested in everybody's thoughts.

Thanks,
Brian

i run the 1 WP40 on a 180 n have never been so happy .. best 75.00 i spent .. i have had it almost 6 months and works just like the day i got it .. maxi jets are ok but not enuff flow for a 90 ..

I ran (2) marineland maxi jet 1200's on my 270 DT until I upgraded to the vortech's! I'd say go with the maxis for now n save up forgotten vortech's later down the road!

i run the 1 WP40 on a 180 n have never been so happy .. best 75.00 i spent .. i have had it almost 6 months and works just like the day i got it .. maxi jets are ok but not enuff flow for a 90 ..

I agree. I'm retired and can't spend that crazy amount for a Vortech even if they are worth it. I'm running a WP40 on my 120 and love it. about one fifth the price of a Vortech.

I run a WP40 connected to a ReefAngel to create random patterns. My tank is a 95 and it also has a Koralia Evo 1050 on a wavemaker fashion. The WP runs up to 95% and as low as 21% and I find it to be perfect for my setup. I have high speed flow at the top to facilitate gas exchange but even at the bottom of it I can see some movement. My SPSs at the top seem to like it a lot. My tank is 24 inches deep.

I'm currently using an Ocean Stream Kit, OS-1K on my 90 gallon mixed reef. That came with (2) - 1600 gph powerheads and the OceanPulse Wavemaker.

I've had them running about 2 months without an issue. I have them mounted up high and point across the surface. They definitely get some nice water movement going in my standard 90 DT.

I've been playing around and testing the wavemaker on it's different timings. With them set at 10 second intervals (the shortest time on the wavemaker) it gets it moving and keeps lots in suspension even along the sand bed. All the spaghetti worms love the flow and have their filaments out in the current across the sand bed.

My young ricordea shrooms and small zoa frags across the bottom 3rd of the tank seem to be perfectly happy with the flow no matter what timing it's set on as long as I keep the heads pointed across the surface and not down towards the sand bed.

I'd have to look back... but I want to say the whole box cost me maybe $85ish (USD) on a sale at my LFS.

I don't have any photos of it, but I did a quick search and here is another RC members thread with photos of the exact kit I'm using.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075067

Do you guys think the WP40 would be too much flow for my 90? Would I have to run it turned way down?

Simply no, I run one on my 75 and everything loves it. I do have a lot of rock work though, so I am sure that cuts flow down. The new ones have a controller you can run at 50, 75, or 100%, or something like that. check ebay or fishstreet.com I would highly recommend one.

Ordered a wp-25 today from fish street! Went with the 25 for now after evading a little. Seems the 25 will have plenty of flow for me for now in a much smaller footprint than the 40. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here from china.

I have had many maxi jets for many reasons. They're are pretty under rated pumps IMO. Plus if you upgrade down the line they're great to have around just for utility use. WP's sound a lot like ecotechs to me. Same idea behind it and without regular maintenance they can go wrong quick. That being said I think and not many would argue the eco tech is a better pump though expensive to say the least. As far as the WP though I don't know if I'm sold on it yet. It's made by a legitimate company, many fail to note jebao makes quality pumps generally for pond use, they are not some ramdom company trying to knock off a vortech. All in all two 1200 maxi jets is a good route but definitely get magnetic mounts because the suction cups SUCK

Just noticed the most recent post where you said you ordered a WP25 guess I should have read all the posts before I posted lol let us know how the wp works out. Like I said jebao is a legitimate brand and if you do some regular maintenance it should last you a long time.

Just noticed the most recent post where you said you ordered a WP25 guess I should have read all the posts before I posted lol let us know how the wp works out. Like I said jebao is a legitimate brand and if you do some regular maintenance it should last you a long time.

Great points Dave. I will also be picking up a maxijet 1200 to supplement the wp25, mostly for flow in dead areas around/behind rocks. I totally agree with the uncertainty of the longevity of the wp's, but I decided it's worth the $70 risk for wave action and to at least give it a try. My long term expectations are limited, I'll be happy with 6 months to a year since I simply cant and probably will never be able to afford the vortechs. I think I can get a maxi jet for around 15-20 plus the cost of the magnets. Thanks for all the input. I'll share my thoughts on the wp when i get it.

Ordered a wp-25 today from fish street! Went with the 25 for now after evading a little. Seems the 25 will have plenty of flow for me for now in a much smaller footprint than the 40. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here from china.

I order from fishstreet and received it in four days. it was shipped from Texas. I have the wp40 and a Evo 1050 on my 120 gal. (48x24x24). I'm thinking of replacing the 1050 with a wp25. when the lights go out they go to about 1/2 power.

I got an email that said "Congratulations, you are the winning buyer..." lol. i also got a tracking number showing it shipping directly from Hong Kong, so probably will take a week or so, no big deal. I just hope it's good on my 90g with my 1" deep fine aragonite sand. Really just looking for something to keep the detritus from settling on rocks and bed. the light thing sounds cool, especially if it works well.

Just installed my wp40 on my 120 (48x24x24)...Its amazing!!!! wayyyy better than my two maxijet12s i had b4

Back