Help me choosing my T5 set up.

pusanpa

tek fixture (6bulb) 234w + no VHO actinic
= 350 (fixture) +100 (6bulbs) + 58 (leg) = 498

tek retro (6bulb) 234w + no VHO actinic
= 300 (3 retro kits) + 100 (6bulbs) = 400

icecap 660 (4bulbs) 220-240w + VHO super actinic 190w
= 80 (used 660 ballast) + 80 (icecap slr reflector) +80 (bulbs) +90 (diy parts)
= 350 + VHO 95w for super actinic 110 = 460

Which way would you go and why?
I am leaning toward third choice.

Thanks,

Joe

Choice 4, ATI Powermodule :)

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...39W_Powermodule_T5_High-Output_Fixture_by_ATI

Choice 5: Fauna Marin Ultra Solaris: http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_418&products_id=2361

I don't think you'll regret spending the extra cash on either of these.

The other option is the aquatinics TX5 for 440: http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_111_112&products_id=573

If you do go tek, I'd go with the 6x39w with ice caps rather than any of those options you have above: http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...inch__6x39W_SLR_T5_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

I'd get option number 5 because the included AquaScience bulbs IMO are better than ATI bulbs. Also, if the fixture will be in a canopy there's no reason to spend the extra money on fanciness that your not going to see. JMO

Re: Help me choosing my T5 set up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12838864#post12838864 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pusanpa
tek fixture (6bulb) 234w + no VHO actinic
= 350 (fixture) +100 (6bulbs) + 58 (leg) = 498

tek retro (6bulb) 234w + no VHO actinic
= 300 (3 retro kits) + 100 (6bulbs) = 400

icecap 660 (4bulbs) 220-240w + VHO super actinic 190w
= 80 (used 660 ballast) + 80 (icecap slr reflector) +80 (bulbs) +90 (diy parts)
= 350 + VHO 95w for super actinic 110 = 460

Which way would you go and why?
I am leaning toward third choice.

Thanks,

Joe

Are you sticking it in a canopy? If so then do not go with a fixture go with a retro.

Also what size tank? I would stick as many bulbs over the tank as you can, so go the way of a 6 bulb if you can fit it. If you can fit 8, go with 8.

I wouldn't overdrive the bulbs, replacing bulbs more often isn't something I would want to do. From what I read normal driven bulbs should be replaced around 9 months and 12 max. I would imagine that the over driven would have to be replaced even sooner then that. Just my opinion though.

Tek makes a good fixture, I have two and am happy with both. Aquatinics has a nice fixture and I really like the ATI's as well.

As far as bulbs I would go with a mix of brands, not just one.

As far as adding the VHO, the actinics in the T5's aren't nearly what they are in the VHO. So if you have to have that look, then add them. Also keep in mind that many of the bluer T5 bulbs have a very high PAR reading. So don't assume that sticking all 6500k bulbs in a fixture is goign to yield you the best results.

I would pick bulb combos based on the best possible coloration of your corals. Pick a few from every spectrum, the par will be there.

Thanks for your input.
I wish I can get those $600+ quality fixtures but my budget is very tight. It needs to be something less than $500. :)

The main reason that I like the 3rd choice is because I've read that VHO super actinic is the best choice for color pop. But now I am a little worried about frequent bulb replacement.

Joe, I would go with the Tek retro if I was you. The other fixtures are very nice but in the end, I think the Tek will give you what you want without the extra money. The good thing about the retro's are the water proof end caps, which you don't get on most of the fixtures.

I wouldn't even bother with the actinic bulbs either unless they have made them much better in the last year. There are so many choices in bulbs now, I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. I used to only use the Blue + and Aquablue bulbs and loved the look.

Pat,

Since my tank is only 15-16" deep, I guess more affordable TEK retro is already sufficient enough to keep my acros.
I've also seen so many successful tanks with Tek including your old 75!

Thanks,

Joe

Back