Help me design a Frag tank!

ConcreteReefer

In Memoriam
My dimension are going to be 36"Lx20"Hx12"D, my acrylic guy is going to fabricate it for me.

I'm going to T off my return pump (reeflo tarpon) & push about 300 Gph through it. For shelving, I'm going to use Black acrylic eggcrate in 3 levels (high,medium,low). Flow- I'm thinkin a Sureflo 2100 MJmod will be enough. Lighting- A single 250w Reef Optix 3 w/a 10k xm bulb (positioned on the Right side- low light corals will be on the left). Here is a pic of my initial design **I'm not a pro in sketchup so I couldn't figure out how to add plumbing/bulkheads/etc..

Let me know what you think, I need to build asap!

fragtankrf3.jpg

3djedi

Looks pretty cool......are you going to use an overflo in it? Looks like the whole thing might drain out into the sump as is.....

Lance M.

Ooo Looks nice. What made you decide on 36''Lx20''W ? space? You'll probably want a bigger one later on so it wouldn't hurt to just go with a 48''x24''x12'' or longer (as space permits).

Looking forward to seeing this up and running.

ConcreteReefer

In Memoriam
It's going to match my 36"x20"x20" sump that I had built already.
The biggest I can go for now is 36"x20"... I would like to go bigger but cant. Here is a couple pics of my sump to give you an idea (I'm gonna use the smoked acrylic for bracing).

dscn0770ln1.jpg

dscn0768ks2.jpg

dscn0769po4.jpg

ConcreteReefer

In Memoriam
Well, got the tank- I have it setup temporarily as a holding tank until I get my 120g set up (click my red house to follow build thread). Here's some pics-

Building a stand-
DSCN0878.jpg

Done-
DSCN0879.jpg

Temp setup-
DSCN0880.jpg

*note- I had about a 1/2" bow in the acrylic, the fabricator cut a piece and came over this morning and installed it. It's not what I wanted but ohh well, it still works.

ConcreteReefer

In Memoriam
Wow! Finally, everything is done!
I attached 2 Sureflo 2100 MJ's to the bottom of the eggcrate on the right. 4200gph in a 50g tank!!

Tank-
DSCN0936.jpg

Light is attached to the sch80 lamp rod- which can be swiveled right or left.
DSCN0935.jpg

MJ mods
DSCN0937.jpg

From the side (Mj's on the bottom)
DSCN0938.jpg

New Pump & plumbing-
DSCN0933.jpg

Ding2daDong

The tank looks great! I did something similar with 2xmaxijet mods on the bottom as to not build up detritus. Works great, almost 4months up and nothing has built up on the bottom with all that flow.

I actually just cleaned the pumps today and it is amazing because the sureflow mod has such huge intake slits that the flow wasn't hindered at all. Not like my korilas/seios.

116.jpg

-Matthew

ConcreteReefer

In Memoriam
You know what they say "great minds think alike"

Looks like you got some GHA on your frag plugs.. sometimes I get the same thing- I don't know if the plug leaches something or maybe the acrylic, I don't know?? Weird

ConcreteReefer

In Memoriam
I'm replacing my 250w XM-10K with a 14K Phoenix.. I like the growth with the XM but the color is just horrible..

How is the 14k Phoenix for growth? anyone else use one in there Frag tank??

2farNorth

In Memoriam
Just curious, how's that flow where the frags are? Doesn't it want to push the plugs out of the eggrate?

Nice looking tank by the way!!

Ding2daDong

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12513657#post12513657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2farNorth
Just curious, how's that flow where the frags are? Doesn't it want to push the plugs out of the eggrate?

Nice looking tank by the way!!

On my similar setup it does wiggle the frag plugs but doesn't push them up. Certain frag plugs it will move more then others and have noticed less growth from those with sps.

hth

-Matthew