Help me figure out the best plan for this gem.

manfx

I found this tank at a deal I couldn't pass up. 42x42x36h. I was thinking about a shallow reef tank but this opportunity arose.

It has 3 drain holes in the bottom, the cabinet won't allow a tank wide than 14.75" to go on. The cabinet opens up on 3 sides so easy access.

I asked to see the old set up and the guy hasn't gotten back to me and likely he won't.

I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback as to what you'd do in my position. I do have a small dump in gonna use tempereraily to test leaking etc. My bigger sump I had cracked and won't work.

Another thing, the cabinet is in bad shape. I thought maybe it wouldn't be difficult to step out but man is impossible. The costing on it is almost like a glossy plastic. Actually thinking about using automotive filler, sand it and paint the whole thing. Anyone have experience with this kind of coated cabinet?

Any and all constructive Criticism will be appreciated. Thanks everyone

Attachments

• 20230302_094142.jpg
    20230302_094142.jpg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230224_111006.jpg
    20230224_111006.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Was it recently taken down? My only concern may be dried silicone if it’s been sitting for a while.

At about 275 gallons, I think most pre-built sumps may be too small (I’m always a bigger is better kinda guy). With that said, if you have a basement, I’d consider drilling through the stand and into your basement with a larger sump down there or drill through the sides and have a sump offset on the side.

As for the stand coating, I have no idea but I would imagine just sanding and repainting would likely work.

My only other criticism will be figuring out the cleaning and flow (and getting bulkheads and plumbing installed). I couldn’t imagine owning a tank that deep. I have a hard enough time with my 24” deep 65 gallon. Although I think it will be stunning once it’s set up

That could be a great free-standing tank with a pillar of rock in the center - one of the holes could be used to bring up pump cords for a nice clean look. Or you could silicone glass over the holes and drill however you want.

Put a heat gun and putty knife to that stand and see if that will loosen the coating. If it won't, maybe laminate over it? If you're going to be putting a lot of time into the stand, maybe having a new one built that will accommodate a bigger sump makes sense.

Was it recently taken down? My only concern may be dried silicone if it’s been sitting for a while.

At about 275 gallons, I think most pre-built sumps may be too small (I’m always a bigger is better kinda guy). With that said, if you have a basement, I’d consider drilling through the stand and into your basement with a larger sump down there or drill through the sides and have a sump offset on the side.

As for the stand coating, I have no idea but I would imagine just sanding and repainting would likely work.

My only other criticism will be figuring out the cleaning and flow (and getting bulkheads and plumbing installed). I couldn’t imagine owning a tank that deep. I have a hard enough time with my 24” deep 65 gallon. Although I think it will be stunning once it’s set up
Good questions, I don't know. Alex the owner for some insight into its past and was left in read.

I'm in south Florida, we don't have basements down here, unfortunately.

The coating, I don't know the thickness is really noticeable. I wonder if putty or filler would work.

Got some 1" bulkheads installed, waiting on some double ball valve lock off to do a leak test.

So how would you plumb this one if it was yours?

I would probably have one hole for main drain, one hole for an emergency drain, and one for a return.

As for the sump, I’d probably drill out the back and do a larger sump off to the side and maybe enclose it and use the top as a shelf or tv stand or similar, or even as @MrClean said, have a new custom stand built to hold a larger sump

Back