Help me Fuzzy dwarf lion tank setup & care

nanomania

Hey guys i have a spare tank thats 24"lx18"wx15"h (cant go bigger). im planning on a fuzzy dwarf. I wana go either FO or FOWLR, might add a green paly as thats the only coral thats not doing well in my mixed reef, rest all are thriving.
i need advice from experienced lion fish keepers, some who has kept lions for really long as good as full length life of a lion fish, as i hate if my fish dies early or due to my mistake.
iv read that they need to be fed live food like guppies or mollys or ghost shrimps or mysis. after reading online, my plan is to breed SW mollys, feed the fries best food like cyclop and nori (gutload), once they are a good size, just feed them to my lion. Also will try feeding mysis on a chopstick once in a while and freez dried ghost shrimps that i feed my turtle on weekends.
I would like to add a few suitable tank mates like bicolour dotty back and an angler maybe wartskin and inverts like some wild caught crabs and hermits..... Can these things stay with a fuzzy dwarf lion? also can i feed the same way to my angler?
The tank setup will be either DIY LR or LR or dead rock with hardly half inch crushed coral sand, lights not descided as no corals, for filteration, 1 internal skimmer, 1 eheim HOB with diy surface skimming and a hydor Koralia 2800. i guess the total flow will be around 40 times, i guess thats enough......

The tank size is fine for fuzzies. I would avoid the mollies and guppies as a long term food items for both the fuzzie and angler. You should try to convert you both to seafood items like raw shrimp, and fish fillets. Becareful with anglers as they will eat anything that is around the same size as they are.
For tank mates the bicolor will be too small and will eventually get eaten. Most snails and small hermits will be fine in the tank with the angler and fuzzie.

what other fish/invert can i add? well i have been acclimating mollies to SW for eating algae. well i saw online on lionfishlair.com that you can gutload the mollies with good quality food and feed them and also feed mysis.

The fuzzy lion dowsnt need to be fed live foods forever, some are just picky eaters at first. For the first month my fuzzy wouldn't eat prepared foods, so once a week I'd give him live feeder fish from the LFS, but in between those weekly feedings I tried prepared foods. He would hit it and spit it back out. One week I decided to hold him about 10 days of no feeder fish, defrosted a silver side and split it in half. I got the lions attention and threw the silverside into the water like a dart ans he went straight for it like it was alive. Second half, same story. The next week I did the same and he took to it with no problem.
Now every time he sees me walk into the room he swims the front glass basically asking for food, its actually quite annoying sometimes cause when I feed my nems, he takes the food off my feeder stick before my clowns or nem gets it. He's a pig.

Your feeding story makes me want a fuzzy lion now haha. Sounds cute the way he steals food. I wonder if rather scorpion or lion would try eating a green spotted puffer? Would be another great tank mate

Sent from Qbabys Tapatalk.

Well in my country i dont trust the fish sellers coz they catch them in the wild and its really dirty. i dont mind feeding them mysis, mimic they are alive. in lionfishlair.com, they say SW tank mollies are ok, just gut load them. well my mollies have also bred in SW. as they are to be fed 3 times a week, can i feed them 1- gut loaded (cyclop, nori and spirulina) molly 1" babies. 2 - mysis dipped in garlic and multivitamin liquid) 3- freez dried ghost shrimps dipped in multi vitamin)

Don't feed a lionfish freshwater fish. It's bad for their liver since it doesn't eat it in it's normal habitat. Stick with krill, and silversides. Use glass shrimp if you can to get him eating, then move him to the frozen foods. Some people use goldfish instead of the shrimp.

To get mine to eat prepared food, I did the same as the last guy. Fed him once a week or so and kept offering the prepared food. He's interested but wan't going for it all the way. Always spit it out. So, I stopped the live food and just waited (be careful to not let him go too hungry). I slapped the krill into the water (literally throwing it for a good slap and maybe splash) and it was all over from there.

Good luck!

Krill is not good for lions, thats what is written on lionfishlair.com. and well goldies are worst. how old is your lion? we dont get good quality silversides nor glass shrimps.... but i do get freeze dried shrimps and can arrange for frozen mysis as i can get it from singapore.

1 more thing, are they tolerant to high temperatures like 31C max?? the water surface agitation will be high for good gas exchange.....

Back