Help me make my sump

Tony44

I was planning on using this 38 gallon tank as a sump for my 72 bow. I have an idea of what I need to do with the baffles, but I am not sure. Could definitely use some help with this.

The tank dimensions are 36L X 12W x 20H.

I will have my skimmer in one area of the tank, and I would also like to have a refugium area.

Here is a picture of the tank.

15184638_gallon_tank.JPG

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Tony44

I just checked out some designs on his site. I dont think I will be able to make anything similar to what he has, because he makes all of his tanks out of acrylic, and the one I looked at, which was the 35 gallon, is a rectangle, but a piece of it was missing. My tank is already made, I cant really change anything about it.

Andrew

Why wouldn't the model A work? Just make the return section larger so you can put your skimmer in there. :)

Tony44

Nevermind, I feel dumb now. I would have to T off the overflow, and make it go to the three areas.

carlosngloria

thats a nice size sump. whered you get it and what was the price tag if you dont mind me asking.

this is how I would prob set it up. In 12" with protein skimmer, then 3 baffles 1" apart with the middle 1" off the bottom. Then a 12" refuge with live sand and rock, then 1 baffle, and 9" return with the return pump in it.

Tony44

I got this tank from a store called "Wild Cargo pet supplies", up in West Palm Beach. Its quite a drive for you, since you are all the way in Pembroke Pines. The tank cost me $65, or $70, dont remember the exact price. I thought it was a good deal though, most places charge about the same price for a 30 long. You should look around at stores near you, most of the time the reptile stores have cheaper prices on tanks, rather than the fish stores.

If you cant find a 38 for a decent price near you, and you dont mind driving a bit. Call Wild Cargo, they can order this same tank for you, mine wasnt in stock, and they ordered it and I picked it up a week later.

SunDevil95

Just checking... I'm building too... would you T it off to 3 sections? I was thinking just two... one to the return area and 1 with a ball valve to control flow to the fuge.

Tony44

Yeah I think two would be perfect, I dont really see the need for three. You want most of your water to go through the skimmer, and adding another section would just mean less water to go through the skimmer.

purza_00

Mine is similar. The overflow falls into the first section that has a skimmer in it. The water in the first section will overflow thru the baffles (bubble trap) eliminating bubbles into the center or return section. The return pump then pumps water back to the tank with a T allowing some of the return flow to enter the refugium. This flow is controlled by a ball valve. The refugium overflows back into the return section.

You can use acylic for baffles in a glass tank, but they are just held in place by the silicone. The silicone doesn't really bond to the acrylic like it does glass. If you use acrlic for baffles get fairly thick pieces as it will bend with the water pressure. Finally make sure to get the proper silicon. One without a mildew or mold inhibitor. The inhibitor will poison the tank. It's not really that hard to do.
The third section will provide a place for algae to help process excess nutrients from the water, thus reducing algae in your system. Nutrients are removed from the system by removing part of the algae. This will require some extra lighting, but not expensive. It will also be a place where pods and other things can populate without be wiped out by your livestock.

Trigeek

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10416597#post10416597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by purza_00
Mine is similar. The overflow falls into the first section that has a skimmer in it. The water in the first section will overflow thru the baffles (bubble trap) eliminating bubbles into the center or return section. The return pump then pumps water back to the tank with a T allowing some of the return flow to enter the refugium. This flow is controlled by a ball valve. The refugium overflows back into the return section.

You can use acylic for baffles in a glass tank, but they are just held in place by the silicone. The silicone doesn't really bond to the acrylic like it does glass. If you use acrlic for baffles get fairly thick pieces as it will bend with the water pressure. Finally make sure to get the proper silicon. One without a mildew or mold inhibitor. The inhibitor will poison the tank. It's not really that hard to do.
The third section will provide a place for algae to help process excess nutrients from the water, thus reducing algae in your system. Nutrients are removed from the system by removing part of the algae. This will require some extra lighting, but not expensive. It will also be a place where pods and other things can populate without be wiped out by your livestock.

That is exactly how mine is set-up.

Tony44

Does anybody know if it would be ok to cut out the centerbrace? I dont think it should be a problem since the tank is not going to be full.

flyguy7150

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10418547#post10418547 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tony44
Does anybody know if it would be ok to cut out the centerbrace? I dont think it should be a problem since the tank is not going to be full.

I'd leave it

J8851

89344mini-mini-refuge.JPG

This is what i had when i first buit my sump on my 55 when i had no idea what to do but it got the job done and its a very simple design.