help me skin this stand! PICS of stand

gasman059

The OG mad scientist
fianlly got my tank functional and all seems to be doing well after several months of running. Now I want to skin this stand wich is aluminum made( mainly b/c my kids run a round the tank and can get hurt).

I've gotten quotes for ridiculuos amount of money(econmy does not hurt the carpenters I guess LOL)

the aquarium is 60x30x25

Interested in your opinions regarding cabinetry installation and where online can i order custom cabinet doors.

I considered placing 2x2 on the inside of the stand so then I can attach hinges and place doors. The rest of the details will be taken care of after the installation of doors.

All the doors will be removable for easy access so removable hinges will be a must.

standpc003.jpg
[/IMG]
001-1.jpg
[/IMG]
048.jpg
[/IMG]
0066.jpg
[/IMG]
Finished product will also inlcude skinning the frag tank.
002copy.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14205492#post14205492 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfragger101
Panels with magnets. No wood framing or hinges required.
chuck the stand is made out of aluminum. Would like to but the look would not be the same.

If so any suggestions on where to get magnets I cal always liquid nail some metal to the stand in cartain areas. MAYBE:rolleyes: I dunno

If you're looking for cabinet doors I wold check out cabinetdoorsandhardware.com is probably the best bang-for-your-buck when it comes to cabinet doors. I got mine there and am very happy with them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14207930#post14207930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billdogg
because magnets won't work so well, how about velcro??????
velcro unfortunately will deteriorate quickly.

The way you have that tank set up, you really only need skin on the right side and doors on the front. You can simply predrill the alumium for the hinges and mount them directly to the corner frames of the stand using short sheetmetal screws. Mount cabinet doors to the hinges. Heck, you could make that side panel a door as well to have full access to your equipment.

I do a similar skin on most of my cabinets that are freestanding, and just slip over the frame, no magnets needed.
I'll look for pics.

Most reefers(myself included) are in a hurry to get tank going, so I started doing this.
Build frame so you can get tank running and have full access to plumbing and such.
Then I do the pretty part, and this way there is no pressure/rush.
I do a 3 sided face frame that just slips right over stand/frame.

cabinet025.jpg

cabinet024.jpg

I do euro style clip on/off hinges for doors

cabinet037.jpg

cabinet052.jpg

Everything slides in/out of place
cabinet096.jpg

Hope this helps you

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14208539#post14208539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gasman059
velcro unfortunately will deteriorate quickly.

Why do you think velcro would deteriorate quickly? What is quickly? If it deteriorates just install more. Pretty much anything else would require drilling holes and unless you use some thing like threaded rivets any threads used will deteriorate quickly. Plus in a humid environment the galvanic action of steel screws and aluminum would be a much worse problem than velcro deterioration. I doubt that the organic coatings such as Magni would last long in a environments as constantly humid as within a tank stand.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14209464#post14209464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
Most reefers(myself included) are in a hurry to get tank going, so I started doing this.
Build frame so you can get tank running and have full access to plumbing and such.
Then I do the pretty part, and this way there is no pressure/rush.
I do a 3 sided face frame that just slips right over stand/frame.

cabinet025.jpg

cabinet024.jpg

I do euro style clip on/off hinges for doors

cabinet037.jpg

cabinet052.jpg

Everything slides in/out of place
cabinet096.jpg

Hope this helps you

There is absolutely no bracing in your tanks stand. There are definite stability problems with any wooden design without diagonal bracing or well fixed panels for bracing. Even metal tanks can benefit greatly from bracing such as diagonal bracing.

Just grab a cardboard box and open the bottom and top, then lay ithe box on the floor on its side and push on the side of the box and see how easily it collapses flat onto the floor. Open the box back up and close the top and bottom up and tape the top and bottom closed, then lay the box on its side and push sideways on it. It does not collapse. That is why bracing is always recommended.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14209364#post14209364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
I do a similar skin on most of my cabinets that are freestanding, and just slip over the frame, no magnets needed.
I'll look for pics.
thx looking forward to them.

davocean- this was planned this way meaning i wanted to get all my eqipment going prior to skinning. There's tons of equipment more than meets the eye.

Some more info please thx for your time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14210508#post14210508 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by therealfatman
There is absolutely no bracing in your tanks stand. There are definite stability problems with any wooden design without diagonal bracing or well fixed panels for bracing. Even metal tanks can benefit greatly from bracing such as diagonal bracing.

Just grab a cardboard box and open the bottom and top, then lay ithe box on the floor on its side and push on the side of the box and see how easily it collapses flat onto the floor. Open the box back up and close the top and bottom up and tape the top and bottom closed, then lay the box on its side and push sideways on it. It does not collapse. That is why bracing is always recommended.

If you read my post carefully you'll see that this is a skin, NOT THE STAND.
Not load bearing in any way, therefore no bracing needed.
It's been pulled out and moved MANY times w/ no prob.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14210662#post14210662 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gasman059
davocean- this was planned this way meaning i wanted to get all my eqipment going prior to skinning. There's tons of equipment more than meets the eye.

Some more info please thx for your time.

No problem, I love having a reason to show my stuff off!LOL
It took a long time changing/rearanging everything below, and for quite a while I got razzed for having a moo moo wrapped around it to hide all the ugly stuff.
Basically I used a biscuit joiner and good clamps to put frame together.
Most don't know or believe that wood glue is actually stronger than nails when done properly, though I did use a minimal amount of finish nails to hold/keep it together/straight till glue dried.
The crown moulding also adds a little more support, as well as decorative, and if you do it right, mouldings can hide fasteners.
I also made sure to use 3 coats of poly clear after stain to seal it well, since a marine environment(I also like mahogany and teak for this reason)

Back