Help me with chiller questions?

RockieTop

I am new here at Reef Central, but I've had various tanks since I was 5 years old (1962!) and had reef and assorted salt tanks on and off over the years. The last reef I had was in 1998 - It was a 120 gallon mixed coral with the whole shooting match, including water factory in the basement and plumbed through-the-wall lines for top off, drain/fill, and kalk. Boy I wish I had the resources available now back then!

However, today I've come over to you reef folks because I know you guys have much more experience with chillers than us freshwater planted tank guys. I hope you can give me some pointers. I'm conflicted on how to proceed, as I have a Polar Bear CC-50 1/4 hp (340w) on the hook. Someone on craigslist has one for sale for $300. He claims it's never been used, but the manufacture date is 2004. 7 years makes me a little nervous... Since it's not hooked up, I don't have any way to listen to it run or get any idea what internal condition it's in.

This is not the actual chiller but is the same vintage as the one I'm looking at: e-bay item # 220861828673

Is this manufacturer reputable? I don't see much via the usual goog-fu one way or the other.

Can you please give me an idea of what I should look out for with this unit? Are there seals that dry out? Can a compressor seize up from lack of use? Neoprene ozone problems? Can I run it for 1-2 minutes without water running through it to at least know if it fires up at all? Also, is there a DIY or other forum (plumbing, HVAC) you would recommend that have guys who might be of some help here?

His pix look make it look brand new - it's still in the plastic it was packed in, but he doesn't have the box anymore. I'd just like to go check this unit out and have a little more than intuition behind me.

Any pointers you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Reefers!

Chillers can be run with a bucket, hoses and a pump. NOT DRY
Run it for the time it takes to drop the water temp you set for.
You don't say where you are but I have one for $150 still on a tank.

Thanks for the quick reply Vinnie - I was in such a hurry to register I didn't completely fill out my profile info...hehe

I'm upstate, in Syracuse. I see you're in Hicksville. I spent some time in North Merrick when I was a kid just out of high school. So, tell me what you have for sale, if it doesn't violate rules.

Thanks!

I have a 20 yr old chiller that runs great. No problems like a car, no O rings. Dont run dry. It should be 134a. You shoud get a set of ac gauges from an auto store. Use a bucket and power head to run water through the unit, connect the gauges and turn the unit on. Low side you want around 35-45 and Hi should be about 150. If not add some 134 that you can get at an automotive store. If its r22 have it setup to run but youll have to call a servie tech it will run around 70.00. If it need freon they should not charge you as it wont take much if it needs any at all. You can get gauges to read r22 but you have to have epa licens to get r22.

1/4 HP West Coast Aquatics in-line.
Still on the tank, so I know it works & no leaks.
A ride for you to here & I think I have a local.

1/4 HP West Coast Aquatics in-line.
Still on the tank, so I know it works & no leaks.
A ride for you to here & I think I have a local.

Vinny, that's not out of the question. I might have to buy it from you and have you hold it for some time before I could get down there to get it. Family is frequently in the city area for various reasons and I might be able to persuade them to swing that way.

What does "I think I have a local" mean? Do you mean someone local to you is interested in buying it?

How old is this chiller? Any details you want to share?

I will meet with this buyer tomorrow or Tuesday and make sure either he has apparatus to test it with, or I'll bring a pump and hoses. Thanks again for the tips, all.. Still very much in the game here.

Back