Help. Moving to house with well water.

Have you water tested and use an rodi unit same as any other. The only thing you may run into is not enough pressure for an rodi unit and will need to add a booster. My well water comes out at like only 32ppm and in the past having it tested as drinking water proves it was super clean. What you are near, any potential run off or near by ground contaminates would have an effect on its purity but again if your using an rodi it won't matter. If you run into pressure problems let me know I have a booster pump from air water ice I would sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, been running my tanks off a well for 19 years. Water quality varies wildly, so understanding your starting point is useful. For example, my raw water shows a TDS of about 350, but my neighbor (also a reefer) measures over 800. Pauly's right that well water eats though DI resin fast. I assume its because of dissolved CO2, which can be blown off, though I have not bothered to do so. I get probably 200 gallons off a single BRS DI charge (at incoming TDS of about 7). Booster pump can help, though the newer well pumps can get up above 60 psi and not need one.

I run a Spectrapure and booster pump. Ensuring pressure is correct and pre filters are maintained greatly increases the life of the DI. Don't be too worried, but all depends on incoming TDS. I average 275 in, and 7 out of the sediments before it even hits my DI/membrane.

Does the well have a sediment cartridge for the whole house? Typically one large unit.

Never had an issue where I live with well water, just the pressure issue. Got a new unit with a booster pump and I now make 5 gallons in 45 minutes.

Marc, I have been on a well since day one. I do have a house water softener and I also use my RO/DI system with no trouble. Have you had the water tested during your inspection yet? It would be good to know what you are dealing with BUY its typically nothing that your RO/DI can't wont remove. Also, is it septic or city sewer? Good luck in the new house!

I have a well and burn through DI. I've read that it dramatically improves DI life if you run through RO first and let the water sit for a day with an air stone to let it "degas". Then, use an aqualifter, etc. to run it through the DI. I haven't tried it yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Water pressure on a well is another factor. My system only gets about 40-60 (i think the term is PSI) so, output is dramatically slowed to 1 gallon per hour in my small ro/di

Yup Dave I had the same issue and most wells run around that pressure. Once I added the boosted I am almost 1:1 waste:production, and can produce water quickly. A whole house sediment filter and keeping on top of your unit's sediment filters, greatly increases the life of the DI resin. Additionally I also run 4 types of DI resins in 2 chambers including a silica remover. Look at Spectrapure's site if you have time.

I'm just noticing Pat, your post numbers have surpassed mine since I have been a bit out of touch. Man I need to catch up!

+1 You're going to need a pump to increase your pressure.

CO2 is the killer for me (and the fact my well uses a soda ash injector to bring up the pH, which is 5 from the well). I like to get the water prior to the water treatment system (why waste the stuff) and run it through the RO filter into a brute. I then aerate the water for 24 hours minimum before pumping it through the DI stage (use the BRS add on DI) into the holding tank. Doing it this way is a PITA but it does save me a ton of DI resin.

Thanks guys, I'll know more once new well is installed and I can test water. I'll keep you posted.

I'm gonna bump this and hijack it a bit as well.

First off Marc I'm in the same boat as you. I just moved to a house with well and septic. Came from East Granby town water and sewer. 27 TDS coming in at 70 psi or more so no problems. Now I get under 40 psi with TDS of about 130. I bought a booster pump from BRS. Didn't do much research. It was about $150. Easy to install and now I get about 80 PSI and water takes about 5-7 less minutes than my old house per 5 gallon bucket.

Here is my hijack. I have 120g of water volume. Do about 10-15 gallons of changes per week and need to make about 30 gallons a week of water for said changes and topoffs.

My wasteline for RODI is going into the drain i.e. the septic and the saltwater is also going into the septic.

Does anyone think this is a problem? I read mixed opinions on this. Some say 15 plus years or doing this wo incident and others strongly discourage it. It would be a pain for me to change this process. Can anyone share their experiences?

Back