Help, my mated clown fish laid eggs!

rpatrick24

My paired Clown fish laid eggs. This wasn't planned. What is the best way to care for them?
20230406_202431.jpg

It's actually to late now as they will hatch very soon and be eaten. But the good news is they will spawn every few weeks as clownfish do and you can be ready with rotifers, their food. In a couple of weeks they will get to big for those and you need to hatch brine shrimp. Then you will have to raise those shrimp a little larger to feed the growing clownfish. By then they will be able to eat smaller meaty foods like finely chopped clams.

It's a real pain to raise them but I have done it a few times and it is rewarding if you have the time, money and space.

Good Luck :)

and somewhere to place your growing number of clownfish
The first time you are successful you end up with say 20, but the parents have already spawned several more times
so you end up with multiple generations of fish of different sizes in tanks while to also growing cultures to have the correct food for each size.
It's a lot of work. If you live somewhere with multiple shops it can be fun making a relationship with a few to accept your fish and sell them.

I did this a long time ago with freshwater cichlids.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. The other fish in that tank are a six line wrasse, cleaner shrimp and a kole tang. I realize the six line will be the main culprit. Hopefully some will survive since the anemone takes up most of the tank and he avoids it. I do have other tanks I could easily plumbing in if needed.

Hello, I am noticing what appears to be my Clownfish mating. I have never noticed the weird behavior the male is showing and from what I have read he is doing some sort of courting. I am not remotely close to be able to handle baby clownfish if this continues to progress. I have a 90 gallon reef tank with a very large anemone that the two clowns love. I have a tomi tang, a trigger, a coral beauty, a goby and a damsel. I would suspect the trigger and the damsel will probably eat a majority of the babies when they hatch. I would like to attempt to raise some of the babies if possible. Is there something I can do to separate the babies inside the tank? I understand I will have to have copepods and eventually live brine fish as well. Would love to hear more on how and if I can make this work?

Unfortunately they will all be eaten. Mine lay eggs regularly now. And unless I replace the nesting area with something I can remove right before they hatch, they will always get eaten. I'm not prepared for baby clowns, so I let them go.

Unfortunately they will all be eaten. Mine lay eggs regularly now. And unless I replace the nesting area with something I can remove right before they hatch, they will always get eaten. I'm not prepared for baby clowns, so I let them go.

Nothing wrong with a natural food source

Back