Help No Power: How long can a fish live in 50 Degree water?

todd2000

I haven't posted in a while since Im kinda out of the hobby for now, but my friend has a Clown fish in 1 20G tank in his office in NJ. ANyway due to the recent storm they have lost power. There has been no heat, or circulation in the tank since Sat night. The temperature in the office is 51 right now. I know he can get a battery operated air pump, but is it even worth it? Will aeration help any after 2 days, and with a temp that low? Any way to heat it up? There is also no hot water in the office.

sucks man i lost power here to, thank god it came back on sunday morning with no casualties. i know certain areas will be back on tuesday. Anything will help at this point to at least save what he can. Get a battery operated air pump, move water by hand with a cup or something to create bubbles and surface agitation, and maybe some type of external heater from home depot to keep the room warm.

If it is only one fish pull him out of there and relocate to a place that has power. He won't live long at 51 degrees.

sucks man i lost power here to, thank god it came back on sunday morning with no casualties. i know certain areas will be back on tuesday. Anything will help at this point to at least save what he can. Get a battery operated air pump, move water by hand with a cup or something to create bubbles and surface agitation, and maybe some type of external heater from home depot to keep the room warm.

He happens to be in Bergen County too on Main St. I told him to go get an air pump, but he cant get back to the office for a few hours. As for the external heater, where would he plug it in? That would need to be a long extension cord :). Even if he could the room is kinda big, so it would take a lot to heat it. I hate to sound mean, but at least he only has the clown, and live rock in there, no coral, or other fish at the moment.

He could bag it up and take it to a LFS and just give it to them.

He could take it home and put it in a container in the house with an air pump. The house is warmer than 50 I would hope.

Does his office have a UPS on the computer? Plug in a heater and a powerhead or air pump.

I came up with those ideas in one minute. He couldn't think of anything in how many days?

He could bag it up and take it to a LFS and just give it to them.

He could take it home and put it in a container in the house with an air pump. The house is warmer than 50 I would hope.

Does his office have a UPS on the computer? Plug in a heater and a powerhead or air pump.

I came up with those ideas in one minute. He couldn't think of anything in how many days?

Honestly he is the IT Manager for a large Library network, and was distracted trying to deal with everything else and didn't think about the fish until this morning. I don't know why I didn't think about taking him home, I'll call him and suggest it :)

There is a UPS but they have BIG servers, it only lasted long enough to shut the computers down.

there are lots of ways to heat water, boil it on a gas stove, use chemical heaters get a fues stove boil water put it in a water tight container adn put it on yout tank to heat the water, its not that hard to come up with

Main street In Hackensack or Lodi. Tell him if he'd like Ill take the clown in my tank til power goes back on. Just pm me his number and Ill call him.

todd2000 I just read my post again when I got home. I'm sorry if I sounded like an a$$hole. I didn't mean it that way. Any update?

Back