HELP on LR ID. W/Pics.

Caviness81

:love2: My wife and I are starting a new tank. (1st one ever). We wondering if someone could help us ID various creatures??? Good or Bad. please ID 1-5 Ty

Attachments

• 20140326_214646.jpg
    20140326_214646.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20140326_214707.jpg
    20140326_214707.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
  • 20140326_214942.jpg
    20140326_214942.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20140326_214957.jpg
    20140326_214957.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20140326_215842.jpg
    20140326_215842.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
picture #4 looks like some sort of algae. We just as of today replaced poor lighting with a Aqualight 6 bulb 54watt fixture w/ati bulbs. I think some of our algae problems were being caused by the lighting.

75 gallon w/ lps and low fish load. 2 clowns, 2 cardinals, 2 damsels.

Picture one is a sponge/tunicate...good thing
Picture two - five look like pest anemones to me but I am no expert.

Where did you aquire that live rock? Looks like Florida cultured rock.

Definitely an anemone sp, not sure which. Does not look like aiptasia or majano. Does it move? Is it in a tube? Can you see the foot, and is it smooth or warty?

In the end, if you like it, keep it. Whether it grows very large, moves around alot, or starts splitting may determine any future course of action.

Agree that you have a variety of sponges (good) and that pic 4 is some kind of algae. If it is soft and ferny it is likely bryopsis sp, if wiry and stiff may be cladophoropsis sp. I would personally remove it in favor of larger macroalgae, unless you want a tank with alot of diverse algae growth.

the sponges are very beneficial to the system. so those are bonuses....the small anemones look like aptasia which is no bueno. i would try to kill them off quickly before they really over populate your system...and that 4th pic of the algae looks like Bryopsis, which is also no bueno...

heres a lil write up about bryopsis..

"Some of the hardest to remove common species of macroalgae encountered in the hobby are B. pennata and B. plumosa. These two species have noticeable discernible midribs (center portion of the algae), that are wider than their branches. They also form a mat like root system on the rocks.

B. pennata (pictured on the left) has irregular and more sparse branching than its closely related cousin B. plumosa which has more symmetrical and fuller branching. (picture coming)There are many, many species of Green Hair Algae that have feathery branching, and are not necessarily members od the Bryopsis genus, nevermind B. pennata and B. plumosa. Simply because the hair algae in your system has branches does not mean it is one of these algae species.

The reason hobbyists despise finding this algae in their tank is because cleaner crews rarely finish it off when they snack on it. Sea hares, nudibranchs, urchins, emerald crabs, chitons, and even the larger Astrae tuber will nip at both of these species, but rarely consume it with any effectiveness.

If you do confirm you have Bryopsis:

1. Try to get on it quickly. If it is only on one rock remove the rock, remove algae, starve of light in a QT.
2. Manual Removal - If that doesn't work or get it all, remove all you can by hand. People will tell you not to do this because it will spread. Let me assure you, left untreated bryopsis will spread. Just be careful about it, and if you can pull the rock out to remove it all the better. If takes hold in the sand sift it out with a net. If you don't remove the base of bryopsis you are wasting your time.
3. Starve it out - As always if you can get down nutrients nuisance algae has a harder time taking hold, or coming back after manual removal.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 aggressively.
5. If that doesn't work try raising your magnesium to very high levels. I don't want to be blamed if this causes losses in your tank, many people have done this with great success and minimal stress, but still....please do your research and don't blame me if something goes wrong."

Back