help. or i may sell

kevinohio

Darn green hair algea again
Seems i get it everytime. Phospahte are low.
Nitrates about 30. But I always get it.
All over the rock. Biggest problem is Jsut not enough time to take care of it I guess.
75 gallon, with a wet/dry
not a bad bioload.
1 yellow tang
1 lunar wrasse
1 niger tirgger aobut 4" long
2 damsels.

I am on the verge of jsut selling it all, but not sure what I would even ask for it, has a nice stand as well.

I would really rather fix the Agea issue, but just not sure how.
i have read not to pull it out cause it will make it spread?
Can anyone give some good advice.
I know getting all levels good is a start, but will that make the exsiting algea go away?

some initial thoughts...... If the algae is bad and the PO4 is low likely the PO4 is being bound by the algae. And without seeing a skimmer or PO4 remover being used there is nothing "competing" for the Po4 so the algae is grabbing all that is incoming. Are you using RO/DI water for changes and top off?

yes for the most part, but i cheated 2 times, i am sure thats part of it. i probably need to do alot of changes to get things low again

I had a bad hair alge problem.
I fixed it by getting a Lawnmower Blenny, That thing eats all day.
10 or so turbos and a good clean up crew to help with algae anddetitrus (help with nitrates).
Get a Phosban Reactor 50 bucks with media. This did wonders for my tank.
And make sure you clean out the wet dry and filter media regulary (once a week for media, you can go longer with the bio balls)

Consider a Skimmer, sump/ref the skimmer and ref made the biggest differnce. And what type of water are you using? That makes the biggest differnce of all

Heres my 2 cents , 4to 5 emerald crabs , po4 reactor, & keep tank dark for 3 days . This will work & emeralds will eat it up quick.

ok. Are emeralds big? Wondering if my trigger or wrasse with try and make them a meal?
Have a po4 reactor on now with phosban

If there are no corals in the tank I agree on keeping it dark for a few days if not a week. I think a skimmer would go a long way too.

I do have a skimmer, not a great one, its part of a wet/dry system so cant really change it.
Have some zoas in there but thats it.

A PO4 reactor worked well for me when I had a similar problem. My RO/DI was exhausted also. Filters and membrane needed to be replaced. Try testing the TDS in your RO.

Back