HELP- Overflow size/bulkheads/return pump for 40gal tank

vokrey09

I am about to drill my 40gal breeder to install an overflow which will be connected to a 20gal high sump. I really need help determining how much gph overflow box I need, what size should I drill the holes, what size pvc pipe to use, AND what size return pump I should use. I do not want a huge turn over rate like some people do. I would like to aim for 6-7x turnover rate. With a 40gal tank minus the 60lbs of live rock volume (say about 10gals), that leaves me with 30gals in the display. Plus assuming the sump will be half full while the system in running (10 gals). Brings the number of total gallons of water in the system back to 40 gals. If I want a 7x turnover. That would be 40X7=280, plus say 20gals for safety.
300gph.

If I get a 296gph max adjustable flow return pump, would this work well? I would put a ball/gate valve on the return, and adjust this as well as the return pump until an equilibrium is met.

I just don't know which size bulkheads, pvc, or anything to use.

NOTE: The reason I want a smaller turnover rate is because I already have ALOT of the flow in my tank from two wavemaker powerheads AND also to keep the size/noise/power usage of the return pump to as small as possible.

Next,
I have read countless articles about different overflow methods. My current options are:
1)Bean animal
Really like the added safety to this method, but seems to be the most difficult to assemble (would rather go with a different method if it is completely fail safe and just as quiet)
2)The Herbie Style
This seems a little easier to assemble.

For both of these options I would most likely buy this overflow from ebay. (They are able to customize it to the size and # of holes I need)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201291912999?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

3)Lastly, Gl*******s Overflow
This seems to be the cheapest and easiest option. I like this except some people have had trouble making it quiet on their system and do not like the safety feature of the standpipe.

I would really appreciate any advice on this, I would like to start ordering all the parts and I need to begin ASAP!
THANKS

Back