Help please worried about a coral

jrbills12

Hey everyone so I have a 75 gallon tank thats been running probably 4 months now. All the levels look great, fish look really healthy, all other corals look great and are growing. About a month ago I got a yellow fiji toadstool leather. Its been great up until today when it just closed. No changes to tank, and levels look good. I didnt see anything bothering it. Any ideas on why it could be closed.

Levels

Salinity: 1.024
Nitrate: <1ppm
KH: pretty steady 9-10
Phosphate: 0.05ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
PH: 8.08 (high range scale not the one that goes to 4 or whatever)

they are probably the harder of the leather corals to care for, i think they require a little more light so where in your aquarium is it and under what type of light? you mite try moving him up and see what happens. i have read accounts of these corals sometimes closing up for for extended periods of time only to open up again without any ill effects. i wouldn't panic just keep all your params in check and keep up on your water changes, also could try a little more flow on him and see what happens

Its under a 6 bulb t5 pretty high up but not too high to were it would be an insane amount of light. The flow is pretty good to it.

+1. After a year it will be as big as your head and you will wish you never put it your tank.

Funny story, I had a golfball-sized umbrella leather for 5 years that never grew. I had it in three different systems with various conditions and lighting regimes. Everything grew up around it, it didn't.

mine does that all the time comes back bigger and better every time don't worry give it a couple days pretty cool watching it you will see these long stringy hairs come out of it catching food

Back