Help please worried about a coral

jrbills12

Hey everyone so I have a 75 gallon tank thats been running probably 4 months now. All the levels look great, fish look really healthy, all other corals look great and are growing. About a month ago I got a yellow fiji toadstool leather. Its been great up until today when it just closed. No changes to tank, and levels look good. I didnt see anything bothering it. Any ideas on why it could be closed. 10 percent water changes done weekly from 5 stage RO/DI unit.

Levels

Salinity: 1.024
Nitrate: <1ppm
KH: pretty steady 9-10
Phosphate: 0.05ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
PH: 8.08 (high range scale not the one that goes to 4 or whatever)

I have never owned a leather but have read that they do that once in a while and that it is perfectly normal. Not saying you should not do some more research but I think you're ok.

Would be working on those phosphates though.

zoanthids, kenya tree, ricordia, pink birds nest, acan, and a few others. None are close enough to the toadstool though none even close to touching it

zoanthids, kenya tree, ricordia, pink birds nest, acan, and a few others. None are close enough to the toadstool though none even close to touching it

Zoos can be pretty noxious, however the leathers usually win a chemical war in my experience. Do you run carbon?

Do you have a picture? Toadstool corals do this occasionally, I've had one do this for a week or more. You may see the outer skin slough off and peel away; all part of it's normal growth process. I take a turkey baster and gently blow the layer off when it starts lifting. After a while polyps will come back out.

Back