Help re: directions w/ Hanna Phosporous checker???

I recently got the Hanna Phoshorous checker. It seems like the device times out if you take too long to add the regent. Is this the case? How much time does it give you?

If this happens, in order to avoid wasting a packet, can you just use the other vial filled with water to 0 it out and then put in the one you just mixed instead for the actual measurement?

Any other thoughts or tips appreciated. Thanks

3 min once you calibrate it. I usually cut my packet on two sides to form a funnel then start doing the process. Zero the unit, then add the vial with saltwater. Once you do that you have 3 minutes to pour packet, shake for 2min then start timer

I recently got the Hanna Phoshorous checker. It seems like the device times out if you take too long to add the regent. Is this the case? How much time does it give you?

If this happens, in order to avoid wasting a packet, can you just use the other vial filled with water to 0 it out and then put in the one you just mixed instead for the actual measurement?

Any other thoughts or tips appreciated. Thanks

I've been using both vials. I prepare them both - one filled with just the tank water and the other with the water and the regent. Then I take the reading as per the instructions. I can't see how this could negatively effect the results. Just have both vials prepared and then do the swap when the meter is ready.

I've been using both vials. I prepare them both - one filled with just the tank water and the other with the water and the regent. Then I take the reading as per the instructions. I can't see how this could negatively effect the results. Just have both vials prepared and then do the swap when the meter is ready.

Because no two vials are identical using both could skew the results. The colorimeter reads the light being shined through the vial and different vials will have slightly different thicknesses and anomalies in the glass itself.

Depending on the age of the unit it may have a 2 or 3 minute shutoff. I would just run a dry test and time it.

Directions on mine say that the unit will shutoff after 2 minutes and to shake for 2 minutes as well. How is that even possible? I used to use both vials because I had the unit shutoff on me but the last time I tested I used the same vial. To speed up the process I took all the powder out of the packet and poured it onto an old playing card that I folded in half so that I could quickly funnel it into the vial. Between the timer and the packet I find this test to be the most frustrating of all. I wish it was as easy as the Hanna alk test.

Because no two vials are identical using both could skew the results. The colorimeter reads the light being shined through the vial and different vials will have slightly different thicknesses and anomalies in the glass itself.

Depending on the age of the unit it may have a 2 or 3 minute shutoff. I would just run a dry test and time it.

Ah ok I can accept that explanation and maybe that's what's throwing off my alk tests? I did the alk test again and got the same results. RSP titration test - 9.2. Hanna checker test - 7.25. However I used an Elos kit that is just past expiration and got 6.5 :( The Elos took 13 drops for the change to occur.

Just wondering why they would provide two vials if the test should be done with one. Maybe it's a spare incase my fumble fingers drop the first vial LOL

I wish there were some standard theses kits were metered against. Seems there's a lot of variation in them and the results.

+1 ^^^^

I always use the same vial

I just got my ULR Phosphorous tester a few days ago. So far I've only been able to use it twice, but this is what i did both times:

Fill both vials
Add regent to vial #1, shake for 3 min (using stop watch)
Put vial #2 in, zero unit
Put vial #1 in, measure
Wait for unit to turn off (Precut regent packet while waiting)
Put vial #2 in, zero unit
Add regent to vial #2 shake for 2.5 min (using stop watch)
Put vial #2 in, start measurement
During 3 min countdown, continue inverting/rolling unit to continue to mix regent for 60 seconds

Both times I followed this procedure the measurement difference was exactly 5ppb phosphorus (.015 ppm phosphorus). I'm going to continue doing this for a while to see if the results continue to match pretty well.

Checking Phosphates is really irrelevant. These Phos checkers don't tell you what amount is in your rocks, sand, sump... Only what's in the water before any algae/bacteria absorbed it. Return it and get corals instead.

It's not if you don't get a real reading. If you have high Nitrates and you have algae/cyano, then you have high Phos too.

It's not if you don't get a real reading. If you have high Nitrates and you have algae/cyano, then you have high Phos too.
Not necessarily. The parameters are all independent of each other. Different types of food might change the tank parameters, for example.

I do not to offend any one but you guys are still using Hanna 736, that one is a joke . At least for me even at 2 virals or single never can I get consistent readings . I ended up using d&d instead .

I do not to offend any one but you guys are still using Hanna 736, that one is a joke . At least for me even at 2 virals or single never can I get consistent readings . I ended up using d&d instead .

I love my 736 always spot on when tested against my red sea pro

so far.....i'm getting VERY inconsistent results over a few days.....reading such as 2, 3, 15, 0, 6. These ratings are all Phosphorous PPM so the translated phosphate range is from 0.0 too 0.046 ppm.

so far.....i'm getting VERY inconsistent results over a few days.....reading such as 2, 3, 15, 0, 6. These ratings are all Phosphorous PPM so the translated phosphate range is from 0.0 too 0.046 ppm.

Make sure that for sample 1 and sample 2 you are using the same vial. Make sure the vial is facing in the same direction for sample 1 and 2 (I use the 10ml marking to verify). To give yourself extra mixing time, after you use sample 1 you have 2 minutes before the auto shutoff so use that time to mix. Then press and hold the button to start a 3 minute timer and keep mixing, then stick in the vial before the timer bottoms out.

Make sure that for sample 1 and sample 2 you are using the same vial. Make sure the vial is facing in the same direction for sample 1 and 2 (I use the 10ml marking to verify). To give yourself extra mixing time, after you use sample 1 you have 2 minutes before the auto shutoff so use that time to mix. Then press and hold the button to start a 3 minute timer and keep mixing, then stick in the vial before the timer bottoms out.

Thanks for the good ideas.

Not necessarily. The parameters are all independent of each other. Different types of food might change the tank parameters, for example.

Agreed but testing the amount of phosphate in a tank is pointless. It's impossible to get a real reading.

Agreed but testing the amount of phosphate in a tank is pointless. It's impossible to get a real reading.
We test the amount of phosphate in the water, not the tank. I'm not sure what you mean, but phosphate testing can be quite useful, especially when dealing with stony coral problems.

Sometimes getting a real reading is less important then trending what direction you are going in.

You are measuring near the useful limits of the HI-736 (+/- 5ppb). When working with numbers that low, you are probably going to have to look at a rolling average to make any useful conclusions.

Back