Help..SPS`s bleaching. GE 1 silicone.Is it reef safe???

Reefjunkee

Premium Member
Well,I have had a horrible time keeping any sps corals alive recently and most of my zoanthids have been staying closed up.All of my water perameters appear normal.ph-8.2,CA-430,KH-12,NO3-0,PO4-0,MG-1500.I was running rowaplus in a kent phosban reactor and took it out and put in straight carbon.Took out my purigen.Cant seem to figure out what is going on with my tank.Can the GE1 silicone be leaching something into my water?I used it to glue my baffles into my sump.I recently put 3 new frags in my tank and about half of them have bleached already.I`m open to any suggestions.This tank has benn running a little over a year.

Travis L. Stevens

If it is GE Silicon I: Window & Door, then you should be fine. Your Magnesium and Alkalinity looks a little high. How old are your bulbs?

Reefjunkee

Premium Member
Bulbs are only a few months old.As far as MG and KH how do You lower them?Not sure why my magnesium is so high.I havent added any in a long time.My calcium reactor seems to keep it up.Is high MG lethel to corals?Normal is like 1350-1500 I thought.

powdertang05

time is the only way to remove KH and mag normally i keep my mag 1350-1400 1500 is max but have seen other have their tank at 1800 or even 2300 and still good. i think this is better answered at the sps thread for help as for silicone ive used 4 different brands and even a colored and have never had problems so i dont think thats the problem.

flyyyguy

King of the white corals
Premium Member
:( Sorry to hear Rick. I have a hunch that those 3 new frags you added that bleached might look kinda familiar to me.

Not sure i have much to offer other than a while back i had a issue with some bleaching when my alk got a little high along with using rowaphos for the first time on my BB tank.

I wont ever use a phosphate remover again on any of my tanks. I had used it often in the past with no issues on my dsb systems, but the sandbed was there to absorb any excess. Iknow many people use it with no issues but i wont ever again.

Your mag is fine and not to blame unless you somehow dosed it up to the level it is now in a short period of time.

Good luck