Help the caveman contest!

fishhawk123

Heya all u aquatarians,
Its national, take pity on cavemen day lol. K to the meat b4 I lose my audience.
I got into this hobby for a short time 10 yes back for only about 1 year. I used this site for countless research then.
Lots of equipment got lost or deteriated in 9yrs storage. Some I should have had, I'm sure I never acquired.
I have: oceanic (I think) 110gal show ( 48"x18x28tall) non drilled, a 22gal sump/refugium. a sweet Euroreef cs8-2 protein skimmer. Stainless heater. TDs meter, refratometer, various test strips( don't know how age affects those) I have the remains of 2x400watt my mogul batwing and ballast diyreef fixture and Icecap 660 ballast w/ 4x t8 vhos.( basically just figure the ballast is worth salvaging) no bulbs for any of them as they were at the end f their life when stored. I have the old live rock..now dead rock and no live sand.I don't make a lot of money so budgeting is important. However, I know not to throw good money after bad as well. I just bought a 6 stage to/di unit on eBay.
Now, I have it all in a small mancave, and wish to punish mahself by starting again lol.

I would luv to go led but I am hoping to stay in the 300.00 range. I am thinking that by the time I buy a new wiring harness for the icecap, buy the my bulbs, and t5 endcaps, reflectors, and bulbs, I could have just gotten an led fixture. I have power heads a good return pump (internal and external rated) plumbed externally. I never owned a UV sterilizer ( gonna fix that)
Now b4 the interrogation starts, I want to say that I pretty much, and at some point, be able to add whatever the hell I want to , to the DT. (responsibly, and in good time off)
I was looking at the 48" aquatic life edge as a possibility.I like the sleek design, timers, and having a dusk/dawn setting. I understand that I might have to keep light hungry corals in the top 1/3 of the tank...at least I was hoping it will be possible to with that fixture. I looked at a lot of led fixtures on eBay but the choices are a bit overwhelming. I live in Rock port ,Tx and heat in the summer is brutal lol
I also am looking to up or add a larger sump possibly in addition to the refugium.also have a tall 18gal that I may make a seahorse tank and will pick up a larger tank for a quarantine tank.
So plz help a poor caveman out with ur ocean, wisdom, and most especially, ur friendship.
Also let me know about any of u in man area (I.e. Corpus Christi , Victoria, etc) and good LFS?:bounce2:

Everything you need to know is here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

Once you do your research there you will have specific questions I'm sure and by all means ask them. But pretty much anything you can come up with to ask is covered in that link. It's called Setting Up and is located at the top as a sticky of the New to the Hobby forum which this thread you have is in.

Good Luck and Welcome to RC!

Back