Help w/ Spots on Clownfish... (not ich)

Johnny C

Hey Guys...

So I've got a pair of false percs in a hospital tank that had a mild case of ich. I'm treating them with culpramine and have been in the HT for just about 3 weeks now. The ich seems to be gone, but I've noticed on the smaller (male) clown, he has about 6-10 dark spots on his body that look internal. The best way to describe them are dots that look like they were dotted from a lead pencil. I have no clue what they are and both of the clowns seem perfectly happy but I just want to figure out what this is. I tried to snap a pic but my crappy camera can't focus enough to make the spots out. Please help, thank you! :)

Chances are it is just a little harmless melanism (like human "liver spots") resulting from the stress of treatment.
Clownfish have been known to develop dark spots for a variety of reasons including stress and nutrition.

Keep an eye on the water quality, provide hiding places like pvc pipe or a flower pot, and provide a mix of foods.
So long as the fish is eating and not showing signs of obvious distress he should be fine.
Also, make sure you leave the display tank fallow (fishless) for 6-8 weeks to make certain the remaining Ich starves to death.

Don't forget, there's also a good forum here for Fish disease treatment too: http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=87

Good luck.

Where the clowns ever in a tank with any corals?

Often those spots will show up when clowns try to be hosted by non-anemones. Those spots are harmless.

yep, but i've never seen them try to be hosted by anything. the frogspawn i have is very small. ever since the ich outbreak, they've been present.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14177721#post14177721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
Where the clowns ever in a tank with any corals?

Often those spots will show up when clowns try to be hosted by non-anemones. Those spots are harmless.
Ah yes, good catch Todd, I forgot about that as another possible cause.

Back