Help with baby clowns

mdk2176

Here is the situation. I have a 65 gallon tank. Several corals one Clarkii clown and 1 kauderns Cardinal. 1 bta. I bought 2 Clarkii clowns. 1 died within a couple hours. They sent me a replacement he died within an hour after acclamation. They are sending me another replacement. I do not want him to die. All parameters are good. Nitrate around 10. 3 things come to mind. They are sending me weak fish that can't handle the stress. 2 when I checked the acclamation back everything matched my tank except salt. Bag was at 1.21 tank was at 1.24. 3 light shock. Is it possible that the salt levels were two far off? Did the light shock my new fish? Should I observe new fish In my refugium? Any help would be great. Dont want to loose the guy. He will be here tomorrow.

Gosh that's sad to hear. How did you acclimate your fish?

I would be very very sad if that happened to me šŸ˜·, I have never lost fish like that. I wish the new one will make it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I used 1/2 cup to bag every 4 minuets until full. Dumped half water out. Used 1/2 cup every 15 minuets until full. Took about an hour. Of the original two I ordered the one that lived is doing great. Made the bta his new home. I have never had an issue like this before. I am getting upset.

After acclimation salinity should be the same between bag and tank. not sure what you mean when you said everything matched except salt. The fish is going through a lot of stress keep lights off for the first day in QT provide some cover (rock or pipe) Make sure you other clown doesn't beat him up when putting them together.

Maybe look for them within driving distance so you don't have to keep having fish shipped. Nothing beats that for stress.

All parameters were the same. 0 Nitrite 10 Nitrate. PH matched . The salt level was way off. Tomorrow after acclamation I will not put him in the tank until the bag matches the tank.

I've found that the best way to acclimate fish is to use a drip system -- just airline tubing and a valve. It's less stressful on the fish than dumping water into the bag.

I set the bag in a bucket (Home Depot sells small black ones), making sure it can't topple over and set the water to a fast drip (a couple drops a second) and let it go for about 45 minutes (I've gotten away with 20 minutes without problems, but 45 is ideal).

This one works well, but you can easily make one:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16100

They even offer instructions under the "MORE INFORMATION" tab.

That said, I don't think it's your acclimation method that is the problem. If this next one dies, I suggest just asking for a refund. I agree that picking these up at a LFS is a better bet. Any LFS should be able to get you Clarkii.

Thanks for the info. Should I put the new guy if my refugium for a couple of days to lessen the stress.

slow down your acclimation, I would do less than half a cup every 15min for an hour. that's pretty much what I do. Also clownfish are very territorial and it is very possible your current one is killing it. Usually in a smaller tank you have to introduce at the same time, if not 1 will set up its territory and kill any new clowns. Also if the current one is female you must add a smaller male. I have heard that the clarkii's are even more aggressive. Just watch them next time you introduce one. I would also make sure the next one is smaller than your current one.
Also I don't think the nitrate is in a dangerous level but its a bit high.

I agree with what you say. My current clown I hope is a unsexed juvi as he is very small. New to the tank last Saturday. I added two in hopes for a pair. Maybe it is a a territory thing. It could be possible that the current clown is a female. And the replacement was a female also. They are very small. I thought the change took place when they were a little older.

He is here. I acclimated. He is still alive ,but at the bottom of the tank. Just resting there kinda on his side.

Sometimes clowns do that. They rest on their side when there is no anemone or anything else supporting their body.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Back