Help with ID and Elimination of Algae

Reeree

Hello,

New to the forums here and tried searching for a previous example of this, but no luck yet. The closest thing I've found so far is on Google images for black beard algae.

This started about one month ago with some patches along the top of a rock formation close to the lights. Since it started close to the lights, I tried 'blacking out' the tank for a week, and it was still there. I have taken the rock out and wiped it off (it wipes off very easily) but then reappeared in a few days.

Since then it has now spread to all of the rocks in the tank. I have had the tank for about 3 months now, and have been keeping my ammonia, nitrates, salinity, and phosphates in check, using the Petco imagitarium pacific ocean water for all of my water changes. I do around 7.5 gallons every 2 weeks.

Any help is very appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220724_090307.jpg
    20220724_090307.jpg
    990.3 KB · Views: 22
Hello,

New to the forums here and tried searching for a previous example of this, but no luck yet. The closest thing I've found so far is on Google images for black beard algae.

This started about one month ago with some patches along the top of a rock formation close to the lights. Since it started close to the lights, I tried 'blacking out' the tank for a week, and it was still there. I have taken the rock out and wiped it off (it wipes off very easily) but then reappeared in a few days.

Since then it has now spread to all of the rocks in the tank. I have had the tank for about 3 months now, and have been keeping my ammonia, nitrates, salinity, and phosphates in check, using the Petco imagitarium pacific ocean water for all of my water changes. I do around 7.5 gallons every 2 weeks.

Any help is very appreciated. Thanks!
The give away is those bubbles attached to stringy stuff, Diatoms, normal in early systems.
I would not rely on anyones else making my water.
They may not be as careful as you would be.
It may be more of a contributor than you think.

Keep chemistry stable and nutrients in trace and they will pass.
You need a good 6 months for the goods guys to show up and out compete that kinda stuff.

Until then, keep those rocks clean.

dinoflagellates, with a tank of only a few months old your going to get it, just keep up with water changes and your lighting schedule

Back