Help with Koralia powerhead!

Rottmn

I have a Koralia powerhead that I just noticed is sucking water in through the front instead of blowing out. Is this just a bad powerhead or can it be fixed??

This has never happened to me but I've heard of it happening to other people. Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in? This will sometimes fix the problem. Unfortunately that's all I got for suggestions, hopefully someone else can help out if this doesn't work.

Yea sometimes they reverse on startup, unplug, replug a couple times till it goes the right direction.

That worked! Thanks for the quick reply... I was just getting ready to go out to get a replacement & decided to post on here. Thanks again for the simple money saving solution.

It happens all the time to me. It may take a few tries, but following portsie's advice will eventually get it running properly. Once it starts happening, it will be an ongoing issue. Be sure to check it every time it's turned off/on to make sure it didn't start backwards again. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to fix it permanently. I think the general consensus is that because koralias are cheap, when they start acting up it's time to toss them out and replace them.

I hate when this happens. Just watch for bubbles that are created by the powerhead and you can tell if it started in reverse or forward. Like mentioned above, itmight take a couple times.

This happens pretty frequently on the older models. For the newer models, koralia fixed the problem by putting a small rubber bumper, about the size of a small pencil eraser head, on the inside of the front grill. Occasionally this rubber bumper gets knocked off, and the newer models can then start in reverse. Although unplugging and plugging works, the better solution is to check for that front bumper and replace it if it has fallen off.

When this happens to my powerhead, I just use something like a chopstick and give the impeller a nudge. This always seems to get it going in the right direction.

I cut out the front grill and just push the center of the impeller in a couple of times until it turns the correct way. A bonus is the added flow without the front grill.

Back