Help! with marineland corner flow

apstreck

I finally got my 60 cube tank up and running and now I'm having a horrible time with the overflow. My last tank I custom drilled with a beananimal style overflow and it was great... this time it is the standard that comes with the drilled tank and it is extraordinarily loud and turbulent. The water level within the overflow is bouncing up and down and each time it hits it high point, the whole system gurgles and sends a rush of water into the sump.

It seems like once it hits a certain point, the downpipe goes into near-full siphon and that is what causes the rush of water. Anyone know how to rectify this or will it balance out given time?

switch it out to a herbie overflow and have the return come over the top of tank. or you can drill a return hole.

I had considered that but its hard to believe that with a manufacturer such as marineland that distributes to so many that they all have to be modded using someone else's design.... I'm running an Eheim compact 3000 and even dialed back at 50% its loud as hell.

Does the drain tube have a hole drilled in the top?
I have a mag 9.5 and ended up having to dial it down/divert more to my fuge and drill out the hole in the top of the drain slightly larger.
Also make sure that your drain pipe isn't submerged too far. From what I understand (and in figuring out my own toilet flushing sounds) the back pressure from the pipe being submerged too far can cause water levels to rise and fall.

How far down is it safe to dial your return pump? I have the eheim compact+3000 which you can dial down 50% on the side... is it wise to dial down farther with a valve up the line? And at what point am I dialing down so far that my skimmer (RD INS80) will suffer?

cornerflow

cornerflow

I had to adjust the return pump flow down to make my cornerflow stop doing that. Slowly adjusted down & then I could tell pretty quick if it would work. I ended up at the highest return pump level I could where it would not drain the overflow.

what did you adjust you GPH down to (roughly)? I mean, I'm a bit under 400 gph now and hesitate to go much lower... all my sump will have is a skimmer but still, it seems to be awful low.

You have too much return water. A non full-siphon drain will flush continuously until you crank back the return until it stops. There is only so much water you can push through it before it wants to go full-siphon. Then it converts to full, empties out the water and the flushing/cycle starts again.

I have a 150g Tall with the same overflow you have, I found a return pump of 700 or less for for the flow rate. I also had problems with the drain being to low from the overflow grates 1.5" causing a splashing sound that was very annoying. So I removed the 1"x3" pvc from the overflow and installed 1x4" to raise the drain to 3/4" below the grates. helped a ton.

Already been covered. Marineland states that the overflow plumbing on their tanks can handle 500gph. That's with a bunch of noise. I would guess 200-300GPH is going to be much quieter... notice I don't say silent. Your best bet to get close to the Bean Animal setup for silence and have all the flow you want through the sump is to pull the durso and return and set up a Herbie. That's what I did. There was actually room in the corner overflow on my 93 cube to add a 3/4" bulkhead for a return. (VOIDS ALL WARRANTY) I am running a Eheim 1260 at full power on mine and I woudl say it is 96% silent.. I do hear a slight trickle through the emergency/open channel from time to time but nothing like a standard durso.

too much flow through sump, i am running a dc pump and you get them pretty quite once dialled back. Mine is near silent. Dc pump is very controllable for flow. 12 settings so you can get it pretty much silent

We should not have to drill or modify a new tank? There has to be something else?

Can we drill a 3rd hole in the bottom of the overflow?

I am not able to run the return outside of my tank due to my chair moulding. My tank is already 3 inches off the wall.

We should not have to drill or modify a new tank? There has to be something else?

Can we drill a 3rd hole in the bottom of the overflow?

I am not able to run the return outside of my tank due to my chair moulding. My tank is already 3 inches off the wall.

Can't drill another hole in the bottom it is tempered.

This is the nature of a Durso drain. Slow and noisy. If you want fast and silent, it is full-siphon. There isn't a medium offering. With just 2 holes in 2 overflows for drains, durso is your only choice. If you go over the back for returns you have more choices.

This isn't really a huge deal. There isn't a prize for the fastest flow rate through the sump. Just put it where it is not flushing and tune the durso to be as quiet as you can get. Next time, order a custom tank or order a non reef ready and drill it yourself.

I have a Marineland Cornerflow 220XH ,so it is similar to yours.I was having issues with my standpipes causing gurgling .IMO ,your return pump is dialled back too far...I am using a Mag 2400 on my system,and the only time I get the gurgling is when the return pump gets a clog,and is unable to perform at full power.I had a small sponge on the intake I forgot about and it slowed the pump down slowly over the course of a couple months.I didn't notice the pump had become impaired,but I did notice the noise of all the air in the water ,gurgling and bubbling.It was driving me nuts... When I discovered the sponge I removed it,and the pump went back to full output.All the gurgling is gone.It hums like a kitten,now.Just give more out put from your pump.I assume it puts out 3000 gph.So dial it up more and not less.The water will take up the space of all that air.I am doing about 1400 to 1500 gph after headloss and on this aquarium each side is able to take 700 gph by design.I did not drill any extra holes or try anything to achieve the quiet operation of the system.It just works.

Last edited:
I will have to check but I know I have this documented in a old build thread on my local reef club site. I believe one of the fixed I found was to take a piece of air line tubing and stick it under the water and up the hole of the drain pipe and then blew through it to start it sucking air then left it propped up in the corner so the end of the tube was a inch or do above the tank. Try this maybe it will help in the mean time I will go back and see what my other fixes were for this!

Back