Help! with marineland corner flow

Had I known I would run into these issues I would have done things differently. I custom drilled my last tank, a standard 75, and added a glass overflow and beananimal drain, it was awesome. But I'm gonna make this one work for now.

Had I known I would run into these issues I would have done things differently. I custom drilled my last tank, a standard 75, and added a glass overflow and beananimal drain, it was awesome. But I'm gonna make this one work for now.

Mine was a pain for a few days until I got it set. I don't have anything to compare with, but I like mine.

Herbie fixed my corner flow. I fiddled with it for about two months then I said screw it and went herbie.

Now if only I could do the same with my leemar...

I have a Marineland Cornerflow 220XH ,so it is similar to yours.I was having issues with my standpipes causing gurgling .IMO ,your return pump is dialled back too far...I am using a Mag 2400 on my system,and the only time I get the gurgling is when the return pump gets a clog,and is unable to perform at full power.I had a small sponge on the intake I forgot about and it slowed the pump down slowly over the course of a couple months.I didn't notice the pump had become impaired,but I did notice the noise of all the air in the water ,gurgling and bubbling.It was driving me nuts... When I discovered the sponge I removed it,and the pump went back to full output.All the gurgling is gone.It hums like a kitten,now.Just give more out put from your pump.I assume it puts out 3000 gph.So dial it up more and not less.The water will take up the space of all that air.I am doing about 1400 to 1500 gph after headloss and on this aquarium each side is able to take 700 gph by design.I did not drill any extra holes or try anything to achieve the quiet operation of the system.It just works.

His problem is flushing, not gurgling, which is too much water flow through a Durso standpipe. Only solution is to back off the flow, not increase it.

We should not have to drill or modify a new tank? There has to be something else?

Can we drill a 3rd hole in the bottom of the overflow?

I am not able to run the return outside of my tank due to my chair moulding. My tank is already 3 inches off the wall.

I think you're thinking about this the wrong way.

"reef ready" doesn't mean "sufficient flow" or "quiet overflow".....this is why I don't like 'reef ready' tanks....it's not what you want, it's not what you need for quiet operation, but to the folks who don't research beforehand, it sells.

IF you want quiet and sufficient flow you will need to go herbie. I am pretty sure the 65g glass is tempered after they drill the bottom.

And correct, the only way to fix the current issue without converting to herbie is to back off the flow to VERY low levels probably not sufficient for good filtration turnover.

BTW...didn't we already have a thread about this? I suggested using a holesaw to drill your chair rail.

Back