Help with my overflow/return

ArgonDreams

Premium Member
Ok so I finally took the plunge. I made my own 10 gallon Sump/Refugium. The sump is a simple design, in the first chamber is 2 small heaters and my Protein Skimmer. Then a series of baffles into the Refugium/Return section.

This is my system:

29 Gallon
Hurricane Overflow 600
Eheim 1250 Return Pump
1/2" Ball Valve
3/4" Ball Valve
Eheim 12/16mm Hose
Eheim "J" return hard tubing w/Hydor Flo adapter on the end

So here's my question.. I want to put this together so I can have a relatively quiet system. The hurricane overflow came with a cheap corrugated 3' hose 1" Fitting.

I want to make sure the system is set up properly taking into a power outage into the design. For the return I had thought about using the 12/16mm Eheim hosing into the 1/2" Ball Valve and ending with the J return tube from an old Canister. This is very attractive because I have it, and it's the exact stock fitting that the pump has and would be very easy to service.

The Overflow has a 1" fitting on it. I had thought about getting a 1" Flexihose or 1" hard PVC piping. However this is where I am confused. I have heard people say to drill the tubing in case of failure, and wasn't sure where this drill would be or if it's on the output at all.

I had planned on a simple 1" flexihose off of the fitting straight into Chamber #1 with 2 45 degree fittings to make the output come out right at the surface of the sump. Or should I use the dryer looking hose it came with? Should I drill it anywhere?

Do I drill the return? To me it makes sense to drill the return right before the hydor flo so if it drops below that point it will break the siphon?

Just as long as your overflow and return pump restarts after power is restored is one hurdle. You can add a check valve to the return to prevent back flow. Once it's set up shut the power off and see where the water comes up to in the sump. I suggest a filter sock for the incoming water to capture solids, to prevent detritus buildup in your refugium part.

I didn't drill any holes on the plumping for my overflow since it will run out of water once the water level drops below the overflow box. I did however drill a hole in my return pipe 1/4" below the water's surface to prevent and back-flow into the return. This hole is inside the tank on the plumbing returning water, just to be clear.

Will your overflow box restart if the power goes out. If you don't, once the the power comes on the return pump will pump as much water as it can back into your tank and flood it. You need to get an overflow that automatically restarts.

the overflow I have says it does, and gives instructions on how it works etc and says it should maintain is siphon. I will be of course testing the whole thing. The problem is the plumbing, I am mystified at that part, I am not sure what to us to get the water from the box down to the refugium and if it's ok to use vinyl tubing on the return section. I am going to drill the return tube outlet next to the hydor flo in case something goes bad and it needs to break the siphon.

Flexible tubing will be fine all around. PVC is not necessary in this application, unless your set on using it. If your not experienced cutting and gluing, I don't suggest it. Put either plastic clamps or the metal ones at your connections.

Back