help with Par meter

tattoofreak

ok so i borrowed a par meter quantum flux and the bottom of the tank only gets about 50 par. im running my reefbreeders at 50b 30w about 11 1/2 - 12 in off water

when my lights are 100b 100w im getting a par of right around 100 at the bottom of the tank am i doing something wrong?

I feel thats to low maybe not though. do you think i should try to lower my lights?

tattoofreak

Well heres the thing. All my chalices (about 15) are doing great except for 1 which is on the bottom near another one of my chalices. My zoas are starting to randomly melt. no rhyme or reason to location. Only half are melting the other are looking strong??

Favia and acans are perfectly fine. SPS growing but never been my strong suite. But they are slowly growing no signs of dieing

As for growth my chalices are growing like crazy. Sps slowly growing, Acans multipling like crazy, zoas VERY VERY slow process normally i have really good luck with zoas but i dont know what it is? Monitis most growing not as fast as they were under my t5s but doing ok

Well i woke up this am and my skimmer pump was running louder than normally i noticed the skimmer wasnt skimming that much maybe its time to give that pump a good cleaning maybe that might have some cause?

I did however move the lights lower and increased them by 10%. I will check on the corals when i get home today.

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
Well heres the thing. All my chalices (about 15) are doing great except for 1 which is on the bottom near another one of my chalices. My zoas are starting to randomly melt. no rhyme or reason to location. Only half are melting the other are looking strong??

Favia and acans are perfectly fine. SPS growing but never been my strong suite. But they are slowly growing no signs of dieing

As for growth my chalices are growing like crazy. Sps slowly growing, Acans multipling like crazy, zoas VERY VERY slow process normally i have really good luck with zoas but i dont know what it is? Monitis most growing not as fast as they were under my t5s but doing ok

Well i woke up this am and my skimmer pump was running louder than normally i noticed the skimmer wasnt skimming that much maybe its time to give that pump a good cleaning maybe that might have some cause?

I did however move the lights lower and increased them by 10%. I will check on the corals when i get home today.

These symptoms all sound to me to be a result of a water quality/parameter issue and not necessarily a light issue.

Also, be careful bringing the light closer to the surface and increasing its intensity at the same time, that double increase may be a bit much.

Additionally, most PAR meters do not accurately measure LED PAR and tend to under report the PAR by 10 to 30%.

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
ok so i borrowed a par meter quantum flux and the bottom of the tank only gets about 50 par. im running my reefbreeders at 50b 30w about 11 1/2 - 12 in off water

when my lights are 100b 100w im getting a par of right around 100 at the bottom of the tank am i doing something wrong?

I feel thats to low maybe not though. do you think i should try to lower my lights?

Also, 50 PAR at the bottom of the tank should be more then enough for most chalices, correct?

Par of 50 to 100 at the bottom of the tank seems about right?

I should note I am only drawing reference to par readings from other things I have read. I have never done a par reading on my tank. I just let my corals tell me if they are happy with the light.

tattoofreak

Also, 50 PAR at the bottom of the tank should be more then enough for most chalices, correct?

Par of 50 to 100 at the bottom of the tank seems about right?

I should note I am only drawing reference to par readings from other things I have read. I have never done a par reading on my tank. I just let my corals tell me if they are happy with the light.

Okay whoo i was worried my lights wernt even close to where they needed to be. I have moved them down and will continue to watch them. As for my chalice they have started to become more Fleshier since the light increase im going to keep it and see what happens i might dial them down a little in %.

Thanks again everyone for the knowledge

tattoofreak

it just sucks i dont understand whats up with my tank. frustrating

Im going to get my water tested today and see if maybe that shows anything