help with ph

mandy82

Could someone help me I can't keep my ph above 7.8..why...I add bigger but it don't last...I know I need more live rock I'm thinking

What's your alkalinity? Also, have you tried opening a window for a while and re-checking ph? If your co2 levels are high then your ph is going to be low... Opening a window can help with this... Although having a window open all the time isn't practical... Some people have had success running an air tube from outside to their skimmer.
7.8 is low, but it's not terrible. Are you seeing indication of stress from anything? My ph tested 7.8 for over a year, but I had good growth so I gave up on trying to 'fix' it...

do not chase pH with buffers, all that will do is raise your alk and as you found out don't last long. getting your cal. alk. and mag in line will usually fix the pH problem, if not then getting fresh air to the tank should bring it up.

do not chase pH with buffers, all that will do is raise your alk and as you found out don't last long. getting your cal. alk. and mag in line will usually fix the pH problem, if not then getting fresh air to the tank should bring it up.

+1. do not chase pH at all.

This +1. If after all that is stable and you're still wanting a higher ph, look into using Kalkwasser in your ato supply.

Ok so I open my windows everyday in my living room which is where my tank is. ..my alk seems to be about 300...my calcium is about 420... should any of that be raised. ..or do I just leave my ph at 7.8

Ok so I open my windows everyday in my living room which is where my tank is. ..my alk seems to be about 300...my calcium is about 420... should any of that be raised. ..or do I just leave my ph at 7.8

talk is 300ppm? That's quite a bit on the high side. I definitely wouldn't raise it any more. High alkalinity resists changes in pH, so it is going to take a lot more effort to raise pH if alk is that high.

Ok guys so I'm happy to say my tank is doing great. .. my ph ha been staying about 8.0 and my fish are happy as can be. .. we also added a new tang ( a yellow eye kole) and so far have had no issues we also added a 6 line wrasse which I just love watching. .The only thing weird about my tang is I watch him and he runs in to the glass..lol..its comical but I don't want him to hurt himself. .. has anyone else seen this. ..is it normal??

Back