Help with plumbing sizes!

Kissfan79

Hey guys...I was looking at the threaded ends of the bulkheads under my 75 gallon rr tank and and am dumbfounded about what sizes they are. I bought 2 different size threaded adapters to start my PVC pluming with. I bought a 1" female adapter and a
1 1/4" female adapter. On the bulkhead to the return pipe into the tank...the 1" adapter will not thread onto it. It looks as though it is a tad too small. The 1 1/4" however slips over it completely. On the bulkhead from the overflow exiting the tank...the 1 1/4" will not thread onto it....once again..it seems a tad too small. The tank setup was purchased used and the sump (which I am re-doing) had a hose that looked like a vaccum hose going from the the overflow exit tube to the sump for a drain line. The hose going from the retutn pump to the tube going back into the tank was a clear vinyl tube. Attached is a picture of how the sump was setup before I purchased it. My question is: are these bulkhead fittings a funky size that requires a special adapter to attach PVC pipe? I would take some pics...but I don't have my camera with me right now. If I take the "vaccum" looking hose and insert it into the overflow tube as shown in this pic...
sump.jpg

it fits nice and snug. I measured the OD of the end and it is 1 5/16" in diameter. Looking a the bulkhead....a 1 1/2" female
adapter looks like it would be way too big. If anyone has any insight as to how to put an adapter on these bulkheads...I would greatly appreciate it. Here is a pic of my overflow pipes if that would help in any way (even though it doesn't some the bulkheads themselves) distinquish what kind of overflow system this is.
100_6742.jpg

Thanks, Jim

The outside threads are just for the bulkhead nut. Not for attaching plumbing. The plumbing fits inside the bulkhead.

Thanks for the reply. If that is the case....would I just use PVC cement and cement a small piece of PVC into the bulkhead and then attach a union? From there...I could go straight down the rest of the way with PVC. Are all bulkheads that way?

Jim

Ok...so I have a new problem. It appears that there is a small piece of PVC or the end of a hose barb that is broken off inside of my 3/4" return bulkhead. A piece of 3/4" PVC will not fit in the bulkhead. A 1/2" piece will however. Would there be a problem running a line of 1/2" PVC from my Mag 9 rather than a 3/4" line?

Bulkheads are either slip or threaded (inside). Slip you glue the PVC in, threaded, you screw in with some Teflon tape. If you have a broken piece in the bulkhead, replace it.

Which is better....slip or threaded? If I replace the bulkhead...should I just replace the whole overflow system being as I bought the tank used (BTW...how difficult is it to replace a bulkhead)? As another option...could I just run a line from my Mag 9 up behind the tank and then over the top into the display for a return line and leave the existing overflow return pipe as a secondary emergency overflow drain? Thanks again for the info.

Jim

Slip: advantages: Very easy to get a completely water tight/ salt tight seal! Easy to assembly, IF you know how to properly prime and glue PVC. No thread adapters required to attach pipe to the blukhead fittings. disadvantages: It's permanent. You can't take it apart for repairs or to redo something you messed up.

Thread: advantages: Easy to take it apart. disadvantages: Hard to get a truly water tight (and salt creep tight!) seal. You have to use a slip to thread adapter at each end of a PVC pipe, so you STILL have to learn how to glue PVC together! Costs more because of the extra slip to thread adapters. Taking it apart is always much easier in theory than in practice!

I would probably start by just replacing the bulkhead fitting and going from there. If nothing else, it will get you better acquainted with the current setup and also how to do the plumbing work before you jump in with both feet.

Back