Help with wrasse

saltaddict89

I got a 6 line wrasse and this morning I go to find him jammed up under a rock with a skinny bubble around him/her. Is this normal?

I kept one in a bare bottom tank for a long time. When it slept at night it would make a slimey bubble all around itself and the opening of the rock it was hiding in. Very interesting, but it always looked dead in there.

For a wrasse that is quite normal. Some sleep in the sand / gravel and other create a mucus bubble.
The sleeping habits of several fish are pretty cool. My Hippo Tang wedges himself in a small crevasse and sleeps on his side.

For a wrasse that is quite normal. Some sleep in the sand / gravel and other create a mucus bubble.
The sleeping habits of several fish are pretty cool. My Hippo Tang wedges himself in a small crevasse and sleeps on his side.

Funny my hippo does the same and my sixline finds the weirdest spots sometimes

My flame wrasse sleeps in a rock crack with the same slime bubble my clown fish float on the surface sideways like if they were dead floaties lol

IME, can get aggressive and you may wish that you never bought him!

Someone always comes along to say this whenever six-lines are mentioned. But I've had three six lines in three very different tank setups over the years, and have never had an aggression problem with mine. I had a purple dottyback that picked on my second six-line, but the six-line didn't hurt a fly (okay, he did hurt the peppermint shrimp I naively added, but never hurt another fish).

PS - that reminds me of a time at Petco when I saw the order come in and the employee (despite my protests!) put a six line in the tank with about 30 shrimps of various kinds, and watched as he picked off all the shrimp one by one. Didn't even eat them, just murdered them for sport.

The problem comes when they get very big and you then try to add another wrasse. I've seen these guys 4" long and they mean business. The tiny little guys that most start with are fine for a while until they get big. And 3" is not so big.

6 line can be pretty mean. But i have several wrasses together i have a yellow tail tamarin wrasse, blue star leopard wrasse, black leopard wrasse, Aus scotts fairy, melanurus wrasse,and a lubbocks wrasse together for over a year and they are doing fine.

Back