Help!

ReefKnot

I ordered some ricordea yumas and I got them they were OK, acclimated them, freshwater dip, had them in my tank for about 12 hours, only 6 with light.... they all have wide open mouths, brown slime is coming out, they are all shrinking, and I'm pretty sure I've seen like 5 weird little bugs with lots of legs come out of the rock they were on....

I have no idea what to do, and I'm worried about the rest of my tank now.... help please!

Hi ReefKnot,

It seems your yumas are still adjusting to your tank. It is pretty common for corals to shrink when first introduced into a new tank. It may take up to a week before they open up fully again. Especially if the water parameters are different from their old tank. Place them in the bottom of the tank if you haven't done so and slowly move them up to where you want (as in 3 inches or so a week) them in your tank. The brown slime coming out of the mouth is probably zooxanthellae, which they expel when stressed.

But other than that, what are your tank's water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, specific gravity, RO/DI or tap, chemicals you may be dosing, etc. What type of lighting are you using?

Last edited:
Yeah I've determined the brown slime was them dropping a load, so to speak. they are definitely not too happy though. I've got them at the bottom, and I'm only using very minimal lighting. I'm using RO water. I dont have a RO/DI system, and the only thing available around town is straight RO.

As for params, I haven't tested yet, I've got a few other things I'm trying to deal with, but I plan too ASAP. Thanks though.

Ricordea yumas tend not to have pests on them - the plugs they are on might. Good luck on the yumas

Back