Herbie overflow question

So, I was setup for a durso overflow, and wanting to switch to Herbie. I have one of those corner overflows with 2 predrilled holes. The durso came with 1 1/4 pipe to a reducer down to 1". And a 3/4 in return.

My question is....

I have a 1" gate valve that I want to use on the syphon line... So I was wondering if having the 3/4" drain then after the bulkhead bringing it out to 1" would create any issues?

Likewise the 1 1/4" emergency would be reduced to 1".... Would these changes in sizes mess with me??

Or would I be best off using just straight sizes and needing to buy a new *expensive* gate valve of the smaller size?
I would if it's needed but if upsizing after the bulkhead isn't a big deal I'd rather do that.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

It shouldn't be a problem since the valves line will be a full siphon anyway, may take a few more seconds to get quiet on system restart but I think you would be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming you want to do this to avoid purchasing a new gate valve right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's correct. I just bought it when trying to make the durso work... Then changing to Herbie the drain and return are now both drains and it's my understanding the bigger one should be the emergency not the syphon...

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

You are correct and it should be absolutely fine. Like mentioned it may take a bit longer to quiet down, but should not cause any issues.

If it were me, I would simply use 3/4 pipes and a 3/4 to 1" bushing, fit my gate and end up in the sump with 1". Only use the bushing to get your valve on.

Did the same thing for my ATS as I had a spare 1" gate laying around from my original build, and my plumbing for the ATS is 3/4". Of course it's not as critical as your siphon line, but it should be fine.

Back