Herbie Question

drtrash

I understand that the valve (gate or ball) is used to adjust the drain rate, so my question is do you set your pump at 100% or dial that back as well?

jimmyj7090

aka John K
NO!

You never control the drain with a valve.

You can control the line from the pump to the tank (the "return") with a valve, then gravity controls how fast it drains. In other words the drain is controlled by how fast the pump is pumping water into the tank.

Edit, That is NO unless there is a back up drain.

Last edited:

drtrash

not on a herbie or a bean both use valve on return. so does adj pump complicate balance or make it easier?

noahm

You need to use a gate valve as the ball valve won't fine-tune well enough. You will find that a tiny turn will make a difference of a half an inch or more in the overflow box which can significantly alter the noise. You do not need to adjust the pump output unless you want to for some reason. Changing the pump output will, of course, require readjusting the gate on the drain, but does not make it more or less difficult to do.

Just to clear up for the second poster. The Herbie method uses a full siphon to create a very silent drain. You must have a gate valve on the drain to tune the siphon. You have to have a redundant 2nd or 3rd drain in the event that the valve gets clogged or something, which you should have anyway as a failsafe even in a regular drain system.

It is basically dead silent and pretty much foolproof unless you do not have a backup drain.

Mine has 2 backup drains and one siphon. The siphon is just a standpipe about 12 inches tall to prevent vortexing by being several inches below the surface. This keeps the whole overflow box from dumping in the event of power failure. The other two are just standpipes set just over the height of the normal water level.

Last edited:

uncleof6

You need to use a gate valve as the ball valve won't fine-tune well enough. You will find that a tiny turn will make a difference of a half an inch or more in the overflow box which can significantly alter the noise. You do not need to adjust the pump output unless you want to for some reason. Changing the pump output will, of course, require readjusting the gate on the drain, but does not make it more or less difficult to do.

Just to clear up for the second poster. The Herbie method uses a full siphon to create a very silent drain. You must have a gate valve on the drain to tune the siphon. You have to have a redundant 2nd or 3rd drain in the event that the valve gets clogged or something, which you should have anyway as a failsafe even in a regular drain system.

It is basically dead silent and pretty much foolproof unless you do not have a backup drain.

Mine has 2 backup drains and one siphon. The siphon is just a standpipe about 12 inches tall to prevent vortexing by being several inches below the surface. This keeps the whole overflow box from dumping in the event of power failure. The other two are just standpipes set just over the height of the normal water level.

Your system is neither a herbie or a bean-- it comes under the heading of "other" The herbie uses a full siphon, and a dry emergency. Bean's uses a siphon, a dry emergency, and and open channel. The open channel provides self adjustment, that no other system is capable of, and adds a second failsafe to the system.

The valve on the pump controls the flow through the system, and the valve on the drain, provides adjustment of the water level in the overflow.

Jim

noahm

Maybe you don't understand. Mine has one full siphon and 2 dry emergencies. The only reason there is a short standpipe on the siphon is so I don't drain the whole overflow box in a power failuer. It may not be the typical herbie, but works exactly the same way.

uncleof6

Maybe you don't understand. Mine has one full siphon and 2 dry emergencies. The only reason there is a short standpipe on the siphon is so I don't drain the whole overflow box in a power failuer. It may not be the typical herbie, but works exactly the same way.

No, I did not misunderstand your system at all. It is "other." I pointed the way (without saying so) on how to improve it, with very little effort. Whether you see it as an improvement or not, is irrelevant. ;)

Jim