Here comes some ICE! Anybody going to invest in a generator?

Shoot all we got down here was ice and it didnt even stick to the roads.. just the trees.. But schools been out for past 2 days. I guess the county roads are worse than in town. 2-3" ice my behind with 4-6 snow my other side of behind.. i think weather people have been to the doctor and just have the kneejerk reactions from the rubber mallet anymore.

Next storm?? Perfect........ I just spent 13k on a new toy just for the snow but the plow is not in yet...... Maybe I will get to play with it during the next storm........ For plowing this time, not bajaing through the field.......

Well the ice kept my little ricer from making it out my driveway and getting to work the past two days. It's hard to get over the lump of ice in the front of my driveway from the plows. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

Don't bet on it... They are saying -1 for the low tonight.... Friggin' Brrrrrrrrr...... The truck is not gonna be happy in the morrning.......

I was teaching for the Guard up in Springfield, IL during the big storm; we saw about 2 feet up there. I really wasn't worried about losing power back at the house. Beth is a very very understanding and wonderful wife who knows exactly how to hook up the generator and power the house. Fortunately, she never had to.

I was a little sore when I had to get new parts added to it this summer. I forget what they were called (ignitos?), but Bates Electric spent several hours and charged me a few hundred bucks to get it tip top again. I probably need a new battery too in the next year or two but forgot which kind I need to get.

What sort of maintenance (annual/ biannual?) is recommended for these generators? I'm working on trying to convince the wife that one of these is a necessity.

Not a lot Brian. Keep the gas drained when not using it and if it has a crankcase, change the oil. It's about like a lawnmower but you never need to sharpen the blade. Also, just get it out and fire it up and let it run for awhile ever so often. Thats it really.

dave has a large natural gas one that usually kicks on once a month to run. Sometimes they need plugs and oil changes just like a car does...... if i am thinking of the right one anyways

Just wanted to add, for those of you who bought generators and are disappointed in not needing them this week. Hold on to them! I bought mine 5 years ago during the last big ice storm...after having no power for almost 7 days the summer before (during the tornado storm), I wasn't inclined to lose my fridge and be without heat. I bought the generator the second day, and used it for the next 5 days. (A huge limb had fallen and knocked all the power lines off my house.)

I had reason to pull the generator out again last October when I was without power for most of a day because of squirrels eating through power lines. >.<

They DO come in handy!

Starr

just be sure to put a load on it when you run it. I let mine run the barn for an hour or so every six months (plus or minus 12). I flip on about 1300 watts of light bulbs. Way back when, we used to run up our back up generators every month but never loaded them. When we needed them, they would start right up, but as soon as the load was applied, they died. We learned.... Test them with a load.....

How are my northerners this morning? I woke up to 4" on my car. I'm tired of having to get up early and do manual labor in the morning :lol: No offense to people with actual jobs out there :D

I do need to take my toys out and "Check The Fence"..... You know, just to make sure it is still up and not shorting out any place....... And they need to be warmed up good..... I would hate to have the gas in them go bad or something.....

Well I hope I don't mess my car up anymore in this crap. Last week Friday I had a fender bender, Tuesday morning the ice on my car and me trying to defrost it off for 2 hours made a chip I didn't see crack all the way across my windshield. Not been a good week for me. I hope I can trudge through this stuff since my car sits so low. So wasn't ready for this winter. Grew up in the rocky mountains, but I've gotten soft living in the middle :lol:

Damn Daniel, sorrry to hear about your car woes. I hear you though, went to leave for work Wednesday morning and the door handle ripped right off the car in my hand:lol:

Back