Hey check this out

blooper74

In Memoriam
Saw this on the website for the news chanel WEEK. It is about the mad reefer. Be sure to read the quote from Guy at the end.

The Mad Reefer Opens In Bloomington
Mar 13, 2006 - A Bloomington business is bringing a slice of the ocean to
corn country.

"The Mad Reefer" operates a store at the Cross Roads Center, also known as
the old outlet mall. It features coral from all over the world.

The owner has 10,000 gallons of salt water tank dedicated to coral and
saltwater fish.

Owner Guy Shriver said, "I just think the Midwest is starved for selection.
The interest is obvious with all of the saltwater society or reef clubs out
there. There are lots of saltwater reef clubs. Plus the fact that I see
countless new people every day."

Shriver says to get started in collecting and caring for coral in your own
home, you need to anticipate spending about $1,500.

saw it on the news last night.

wish i would've known it was going to be on in advance...could have recorded it and hosted it for you all to see.

I like how he said that you need to spend $1500.00 to start a reef aquarium. That may be true for larger tanks but come on. Maybe I am just cheap.

Peroanlly I'd never do a reef in anything less than a 75g, 55g at the smallest. That's a good starter size. It would run every part of $1500 if not more.

Didn't he also say he has the largest setup in the midwest? I know that isn't true.

I think $1500 is a good starting point if you are buying from a pet store. Stand, tank, canopy, lights, skimmer, sump, pump(s), heater, substrate, rock, test kits, etc.

on the news he said that for a 90 gal aquarium you need to plan to spend around $1,500 to get going for a full reef setup.

that important detail is missing from the printed article posted above.

I saw it :p. I think $1500 is a pretty conservative estimate actually. I have well over 3k in my 75g and I am a DIY master LOL

+1 $1500 on a 90g is doing it cheap.

My new 180g will run me 3k or so by the time it's up and running. And that's with using some of the stuff I have on my 75g. Like lights, skimmer, heater, test kits etc...

Wow an honest LFS. I remember hearing that the rule was $35-50/gallon before livestock ....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6953701#post6953701 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tcottle
Wow an honest LFS. I remember hearing that the rule was $35-50/gallon before livestock ....

Thats not far off if your not good with DIY. Doing good DIY really lowers that though. I have that much into mine, but I have alot of livestock too...

I think you can get started for 1500 but that is just getting started. Wait until the coral addiction starts!

Well, I was going off the fact that not everybody does 75+ reef tanks guys. I was just trying to make that point, that's all. I do think that is good for a 75+ reef.

Back