Hey MARS Folks - Need Advice

debincalif

Hi folks,

Back in the summer I started breaking down my Biocube and sold everything prior to my move in July. I'm thinking of starting up a tank again, but want to go bigger and not AIO.

Since I've only had experience with 29g and smaller tanks, I need some advice BEFORE I start making any plans or purchases.

First of all - size. I'm thinking of at least a 65g, but don't want to go too big. Are there any pros or cons to a tank in the 65-125 size range?

Second of all - sump & refugium! I'm totally clueless on how to even approach these. I understand the concept of each, but have no idea on how to set them up, what to look for, much less how to plumb. Are there any good resources out there, or threads I can read up on?

And last (for the moment) of all - the build. Are there pre-plummed tanks out there that are any good, or is it best to go completely DIY?

Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Oh - and my overall tank idea is still the same as before. Mostly zoas & palies with some other softies & LPS. Will go with LED lighting.

Thanks!
Deb

Are there any pros or cons to a tank in the 65-125 size range?

Pros- bigger is better for water stability, more room for your habit.
Cons- Bigger takes more space, gets heavy quick so make sure the floor can hold it, bigger bills for electricity, water, salt, food etc.

sump & refugium! I'm totally clueless on how to even approach these. I understand the concept of each, but have no idea on how to set them up, what to look for, much less how to plumb. Are there any good resources out there, or threads I can read up on?

So many... check the build threads. I have an AIO and a 225 with sump. I will never do AIO again...

Are there pre-plummed tanks out there that are any good, or is it best to go completely DIY?

Never heard of pre plumbed with sump, but maybe. Used tank would likely come pre-plumbed. I have done DIY to all the tanks I have owned. Depends on your skill level. I enjoy the DIY part of the build as much as the finished tank. Again, many threads can be found here to walk you through most ideas. I learned how to build all my stuff by reading here.

Back