HEY RANDY... Calcium level @ 600+... Is this bad?

Vinny Tang

I've been dosing with Reef complete, but looks more like overdosing.

I have a 90 gallon LPS dominant tank, with 4-5 SPS corals

Can this be harmful to the fish/corals?

Thanks

Depends on high high it actually is, but it's likely not a big deal as long as you maintain alkalinity and let the calcium decline to 550 ppm or less.

It was at 620 a few days ago... My Alk was a bit low at 7, and have started maintaining a stable level of 9 using Reef Builder by Seachem.

Can high calcium or not running carbon stunt the growth of corals? My tank is pretty stocked up with corals, but I'm not seeing rapid growth when I know I should be. GSP, xenia, and a zoo colony have been spreading at a decent pace, but others don't seem to follow suit.

I have no problem keeping the corals alive, they just dont thrive. (Only had 1 sps coral die, basically lost all its colour)

temp 80
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
phosphate 0
ph 8.3
Alk 9

havent tested for mg yet

High calcium (620 ppm) should be fine for corals. Running carbon might help with growth, in a number of ways. Carbon might remove allelopathic (chemical warfare) compounds, and it can remove other things, as well. It's hard to know why some tanks flourish and others don't, though, so I can't say that adding carbon is going to help much.

I have been using Seachem Reef Salt doing 15 - 18 gallon water changes weekly on my 125 gallon mixed reef tank.

The calcium seems to hover around 480 to 490 without any dosing other than water changes?

My alkalinity is fine was well as my magnesium.

I have two brain corals, two montiopora capricornous, one green birdsnest coral, one montiopora encrusting, one goniopora, two 6 to 8 inch red rose bubble tips which used to be one 12 inch for 22 months until it split into two with a pair of continuously breeding Tomato clowns laying eggs on the rock next to them, one 14 inch green bubble tip, on six inch bubble tip, two groves of palythoa polyps one 12 inch coverage and the other six inch coverage, two maxima clams and two crocea clams, various mushrooms including red, green, blue, and maroon.

Finished first 160 gallon bucket of Seachem Reef Salt

Finished first 160 gallon bucket of Seachem Reef Salt

I perform weekly 15-18 gallon weekly water changes with Seachem Reef Crystals and I measured my calcium at 540 ppm with one test kit and 550 with another test kit.

My alkalinity is 5 meq/L and pH ranges from 8.1 to 8.4 as I dose with Seachem Reef Carbonate.

My tank inhabitants all are behaving and looking fine.

I have two brain corals, two montiopora capricornous, one green birdsnest coral, one montiopora encrusting, one goniopora, two 6 to 8 inch red rose bubble tips which used to be one 12 inch for 22 months until it split into two with a pair of continuously breeding Tomato clowns laying eggs on the rock next to them, one 14 inch green bubble tip, on six inch bubble tip, two groves of palythoa polyps one 12 inch coverage and the other six inch coverage, two maxima clams and two crocea clams doing fantastic opening with their mantels in the current, various mushrooms including red, green, blue, and maroon. I have two Hawaiin Yellow Tangs, one Powder Blue Tang, two Pacific Regal Tangs, assorted damsels, a Splendid Dottyback, two Starry Blennies, three skunk cleaner shrimp.

Do I have a problem?

I'd back off on the Reef Carbonate until the alkalinity drops, but as long as the animals are doing well, I wouldn't worry.

Back