HGB rocks, but still gurgling sump

gdavis17

In an effort to quiet my overflow and boiling water sump noise I built a HGB to go into my overflow. The HGB works great and eliminated all of the sound from my overflow, but I still have a little too much sound from the drain in my sump. does anyone have an idea on how I can let the air from the drain release before it enters the sump water? I've tried raising and lowering the water level of the sump, but nothing worked. I've found that it is quietest when it have the drain output 75% submerged, but I still get alot of air escape and splashing. I drew a quick diagram of my sump. Hopefully someone has some ideas, I'm tired of the noise. Thanks in advance.

sump.jpg

To reduce draining noise in my 1.5" drain returns I threaded 1/4" PPE tubing inside of the drains as they travel from the display tank to the sump and fuge located 3' below the DT. The 1/4" tubing will serve as an aspirator for the air and the water will flow more smoothly on the outside of the tubing but within your drain lines. There will be a sweet spot for length that will nearly silence the drains so plan on making the 1/4" tubing much longer than your drain line. I can take a photo if need be.

Thanks for the ideas.

Amoore311, my drain is made of pvc and has 4 45 degree elbows already in it. I would really like to find a solution that doesn't require me to replumb the setup.

ctripi, I am really interested in your idea and how you did it. I think I understand, but a pic would really help. Can you send one to Sivad_17@hotmail.com Did you just drop 1/4" tubing the length of the drain pipe (from overflow to drain output)? Is any of the tubing exposed?

Thanks.

The overflow enters into the T-fitting. The bottom end of the 1/4" tubing is nearly at the output in the sump through the entire drain. You are looking at the top part. The tubing is cut probable 6" above the top of the overflow. By moving it back and forth (with help from someone else's ears) helped find the sweet spot. Sorry for the crappy photo but there isn't much room for a camera.

You might want to eliminate the 45's from your design because each turn the water takes will increase the turbulence and noise eminating from the piping. I initially had valves and couplings along the way but it was more than obvious that there was alot of noise originating from those spots. Plus it will be a pain to have the rigid 1/4" PPE navigate the corners and joints.

My water enters the sump about 75% submerged with some splashing but it is a very muted splash.

149240June212008_007.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds like a great idea, but I don't think I can do it. I have a CPR overflow with a HGB. The HGB uses a piece of 1/4" tubing to quiet the overflow. I don't think I would be able to fish another piece of tubing down the HGB and get the same effect. I think I am going to give it a try, though, if it doesn't work I will only be out a pvc end cap.

Back