hhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllpppppppppppp

dgags

im doing a water change I went to turn everything back on and for some reason......i cant get water to come out from the overflow on the back through the hose and into the sump...the return side keeps getting empty in the sump...i have no clue whats happining....never happen before...but i took off the over flow to clean it..please help

you didn't put enough water back in. so, your return pump section is running dry before it fills the tank enough to go down the overflow and back to the sump.

+1 to above or maybe a fish or snail blocking your overflow bulkhead, still I doubt it would block it 100% so at least you'll see some water draining in the sump...

You did not state what kind of overflow you have. Is is the type that has a U-tube? If that is the case you might have lost siphon.

Just something else to check.

You did not state what kind of overflow you have. Is is the type that has a U-tube? If that is the case you might have lost siphon.

Just something else to check.

+1

I would be willing to bet the OP has an overflow box with a U tube and lost siphon by removing it.

Thanks everyone...this site is great......my overflow has a u in it and there was no water in it....i did pour some in there just in the wrong section.......sorry for wasting everyones time.....it was a nightmare .....buckets tipping over, things breaking, my corals starting to look horrible.....i dont know if i get that upsett when something happens to my kids....lol.....thanks again

Freaking out is totally acceptable in this hobby. It provides great entertainment value too when shared with the rest of us!

While on vacation!

While on vacation!

While I was in the Keys my friend Bobby took care of my 2 dogs and 46bow with a 38 gallon refugium and the power got shorted out by a snail that caused the overflow box to overflow . My friend called me and he was in a state of panic! He had 2 of his friends and my son and his Marine Bioligists girlfriend their trying to figure out what to do. My son ended up calling my LFS and got Shane to come over on his way home to fix the problem . I only lost a purple and yellow nudibranch. Everyone in my Condo Association knew what happened to my tank and how distraught Bobby became . Know I have to find someone else to watch my fish but Bobby will still take care of my dogs....:wildone:

Last edited:
Freaking out is totally acceptable in this hobby. It provides great entertainment value too when shared with the rest of us!

+1. Love posts like this. Not because I like to laugh at others but because I have usually done the same (or worse) and sometimes more than once :). Glad you got it resolved!

Back