Hi my name is Pat and I am a Tang addict

Paaty

It is crazy that every time a want a new fish or go to the fish store I always get drawn to tangs. I will not add anymore to my reef as I am already pushing the tang limit (don't call the tang police).

I have 325g DT (550g total volume) and this is my Tang List:

Achilles Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Purple Tang
Yellow Tang
Mimic Tang
Hippo Tang
sailfin Tang

If I could add 1 more tang it would be either a sohal, chevron, or black Tang.

Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Pat

Sohal is definitely an awesome looking fish...

I just recently got a blonde naso and let me tell you something.. Most peaceful fish I have ever had...
My powder blue is a moron tho...

Uhhh... thats way too many tangs in a 90gal. Depending on what type, 1 is pushing it.

dont be a tang police... if the fish are happy and healthy, then there is nothing wrong with it. obviously its not ideal, but it can work if done properly...

Tangs are awesome, I agree. Hippo, Yellow, Purple, Achilles and Desjardini in a 265 chez moi. Have a Chevron, Convict and Naso in a 90 for the moment. They're too small currently for the 265. Would love to have a group of Convicts, but that'd require a bigger tank :(

thanks Maxx, With this tank I wanted to leave swing room for the fish and room for the coral to grow out. You would be surprised but the is over 250 lbs of live rock in the aquarium. Most of the fish are over 5 years old but the aquarium has only been running since I upgraded in January 2014.

*facepalm at 3 tangs in a 90

I always wonder how many of the folks who get all verklempt over tangs in a small tank haven't actually done it themselves at some point or another. I bought a 90 off CL, which contained two large Hippos and a YT, and kept them successfully for almost a year. OK, I intended to get a bigger tank (yeah, yeah) but then did in fact get a bigger tank, so now they're in a 265. Crowding of Tangs will become a big problem eventually, but smaller individuals can be kept in smaller tanks for a while. I'm not advocating it necessarily, just noting that it can be done.

In reality I bet less than 10% of marine tanks ever last more than five years. Most leave the hobby or disaster strikes so they never get to be full size.
Nice tank and good looking fish.
I have 5 tangs in my 240 gallon, very happy fish

I always thought a fella i knew was crazy he had 2 hippo tangs a sailfin 4 yellow and 2 more im not familar with along with about 15 other assorted fish in a 120. It was running for 5 years i know of. I couldnt believe it had so many. I would never do it though

In reality I bet less than 10% of marine tanks ever last more than five years. Most leave the hobby or disaster strikes so they never get to be full size.
Nice tank and good looking fish.
I have 5 tangs in my 240 gallon, very happy fish

I'm just happy surviving to a year soon. *knock on wood*

I have been pretty lucky with most of my fish over the last few years. I have had my fish for:

Achilles - 6 years
Hippo - 9 years
Yellow - 8 years
purple - 8 months
sailfin - 8 months
Powder blue - 4 months
Mimic - 2 months

The fish that I have had less than a year are the ones that I added when I upgraded to a larger aquarium.

That is a nice collection of tangs you got David. Do they all get along?

Ya pretty much. The Desjardini and powder blue will occasionally give a dart at someone but never really give chase or attack.

The clown tang is surprisingly very docile (especially compared to the Desjardini) and hardly ever shows any aggression; contrary to most people's opinions on them.

I *had a big yellow tang in the mix as well but he was an absolute beast and would go after everyone... He got sold :)

Sizes:

Powder blue 5"
Clown tang 4"
Desjardini 4.5"
Blonde naso 5"
Hippo 3"
Kole 2.5"

Back