High Calcium in 180.....

tikalize

I tested my water about a week ago Alk: 9dkh Cal:375ppm Mg:1000 I used Randys 1 part & calculator to bring calcium up to 425 & have been dosing Magflake/Epsom salt slowly everyday to bring my Mg up to 1300. I just tested today & my Alk is 8dkh, Mg is 1300 & Cal 650!!!. I have not added any other additives. I am using Elos test kits. Did my Calcium go up because of the Magflake? Any advise on what to do now. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Did you test at the same times.The most accurate readings will be in the morning.Try and test around the same time for best results.Readings will rise during the day leveling out at night.

I don't know how lighting could affect calcium, alkalinity, or magnesium test kits. Mag Flake doesn't contain a significant amount of calcium

I suspect the calcium was overdosed. What size tank is this, and what water volume was entered?

I suspect the calcium was overdosed. What size tank is this, and what water volume was entered?
The tank is a 180gal with 55gal sump. I entered 200gal in the calculator to try to make up for the rock/sand displacement of water.

I suspect the rock and sand might be displacing more than that. Hard to say for sure, though. I'd let the Ca drop on its own, and try again with a smaller dose. Measure just before the test and fairly shortly afterward might give a reasonable estimate as to the effect of the dose. 10 minutes might be enough time for the sump and tank to reach equilibrium, but I might give it longer.

I think that by bumping your mag to a normal level (1300) you had a satured calcium level before. So more calcium went into solution + you added some.

If you were dosing calcium before with a MG of 1000, I guess it wasn't dissolving and just got into solution.

Back